Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Napaulensis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sue Reade View Drop Down

Quote Sue Reade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Napaulensis
    Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 7:33pm
Hello, I'm very new to this game but what I'd like is some advice on my Nepaulensis. I've had it for a couple of years now and it spends the winter in my porch and the summer outside. It has abundant green foiliage and looks very healthy but there is no sign of flower buds. Is it a matter of patience? I have sparingly fed it with tomato food as advised. Any ideas please?
Sue Reade
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2007 at 8:41pm
I have inspected my napaulensis but almost all the flowers are over. This year it is very early, have you had the same?
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2007 at 9:37pm
Mine is later, this year, Sue so you may still see flowers yet maybe; here are some from a previous year - they start like this...

then...

and..

After a little while:

they suddenly become very beautiful

followed of course, by:

A lovely clematis easy to grow from seed.

Edited by bcollingwood - 14 Jan 2007 at 11:18pm
Sue Reade View Drop Down

Quote Sue Reade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2007 at 7:55pm
Thanks to Brian and Ton. On my RHS course I have learnt that prunung can often produce flowers and I have heard Brian say such things too so I've taken the secateurs to it today and await the result.
Sue Reade
Sue Reade
richardh View Drop Down

Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2007 at 9:04pm
Hi,Sue, Best of luck to you after giving your napaulensis a haircut----sounds a bit drastic to me!!           I have three napaulensis which I put out of view in summer as they look absolutely foul,they are in pots,and bring them in to the greenhouse in winter but NO flowers on any yet this year.      Have you thought of trying to strike some of the pieces that you have cut off they should be OK  ?
                                                            richardh
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2007 at 1:59pm
In my experience the winter flowering and evergreen clems are more free flowering when fed with sulphate of potash powder than with liquid feeds. This also prevents them from possibly becoming overwatered. One application of two tablespoons of powder in the autumn just wriggled into the soil surface and watered in once is usually sufficient. Avoide prunning to regularly as napaulensis only flowers from the previous seasons growth. Hope this helps. P
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
Helen View Drop Down

Quote Helen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 7:24pm
Thanks useful information Peter, thank you.
Helen (Sussex UK)
Sue Reade View Drop Down

Quote Sue Reade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 9:41pm
Thanks for the advice. New shoots are growing but I guess it's too late now for flowers. There is plenty of growth still so maybe I'll get some flowers next year. I'll certainly bear the feeding advice in mind Peter. Thanks.
Sue Reade
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 6:01pm
Now I use for my leschenaultiana, grewiflora, species henryi, several armandii's, cirrhosa liquid fertilizer 10:30:20 with very good results.
denee View Drop Down

Quote denee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2007 at 1:51am

sue this is my napaulensis 3/4years old grown from BCS seed - it lives in a pot in the garden all year round.This is the first year it has flowered -It flowered just before christmas until mid Jan - I think I must follow Jon's advice on feeding for next year denee

Edited by denee - 14 Feb 2007 at 2:16am
denee
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2007 at 4:02pm
I have been growing C. napaulensis for ten years in our garden. In well drained soil over chalk. Every year it produces a mass of flowers, together with seed. The base of the plant is in full sun but most of the flowers grow into the shade. It has tolerated -10 degrees C. So is reasonably hardy. I have observered that seedlings grown on in pots from this plant do not have much flower power until it is planted in the ground.

Aidan View Drop Down

Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2008 at 9:44pm
Hello

I was visiting Crug Farm Plants near Caernarfon, a week ago and got talking to Bleddyn. He asked me if I had considered C. napaulensis and I replied that I didn't think it would survive in my garden in Leeds. He then took me outside and against the wall (south facing I think) of his barn was a huge napaulensis that must have been at least 15 feet tall and 15 feet wide. It was in perfect health and covered in seedheads - it looked just like the pictures posted by Brian Collingwood. What was most amazing though was the ground around the plant, which was literally covered with hundreds of seedlings. The plant was clearly in a perfect position. Bleddyn said the temperatrures had been down to -5 degrees centigrade and the plant had survived that. I was so impressed I bought a napaulensis straight away!

I am optimistic that if I find a sheltered spot in my garden to plant it, it should have inherited the same genes to do well.

Aidan     
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2008 at 9:53am
Hi Aiden

This plant can be somewhat temperamental outside.
It definitely needs a warm sheltered position to flower well.
A lot of people find it is shy to flower but by reading the thread I think a number of factors are at work. Its best position is where Bleddyn has it planted (there is another on a south facing wall at Wisley which flowers well). Mine is on a south facing fence which unfortunately does not provide any latent warmth during the winter which this plant seems to like. Thus my plant is also shy to flower and the method of feeding in August may make a difference but I have still to test it out.
I have a couple of examples in pots in my greenhouse which did produce flowers and didn't get fed as suggested, but obviously benefitted from the warmer conditions through the winter.

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply