Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

clematis problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SandraP View Drop Down

Quote SandraP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: clematis problem
    Posted: 10 Jun 2008 at 6:13pm
I am not really a gardener, but love my plants. Last year I planted two clematis - they have large flowers (one pink/white,the other purple). They have been beautiful until a few days ago when suddenly all the flowes disappeared from the purple one and the other has holes in the flowers. The leaves are also drooping. I am desperate not to lose them. I have sent my mother to 2 garden centres, but they offered no advice or assistance. Can anyone help please?

Thank you
Sandra

2ManyClematis View Drop Down

Quote 2ManyClematis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 6:28pm
Sandra

It would be much easier to comment if you were able to put up a picture or two of the damage.  In the meantime, keep giving them plenty of water and they will probably bounce back: clematis are pretty tough provided they are given enough water and have good drainage.

Huw
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2008 at 9:51pm
Hello Sandra,

There are a number of reasons for your problems and I will try to help where I can.

Firstly clematis sepals full of holes is a sign of earwig damage and you may need to take some action if you want to stop it happening in the future (or just live with it if its not too bad an infestation).

Signs of drooping flowers and leaves can be any of the following:-
Lack of water.
Severed or bent stems near the base due to wind, snail, slug or rodent damage.
Pets using the area as a toilet.
Extreme changes in the weather conditions.
Dried plant feed burning the stems.
The list can go on but I have left the dreaded clematis wilt until last as this requires the most drastic action. When all avenues have been explored and the plant still fails to respond then the stems should be severed down to a point just above visible healthy growth (this may well mean down to the ground). Drench the soil with systemic fungicide and feed the area with plant food and before long the plant should show signs of regrowth.
If you take the severed stems and cut sections through them and you find a blackened area then 'Stem rot' as it is often termed is indeed your problem. Burn the stems and apply a fungicde and feed to the emerging stems at regular intervals.
When watering your plants apply the water at the base and not over the leaves as it is often believed that the water on leaves aids the ability of the pathogen to enter the stem.

Regards

Steve

Post Reply Post Reply