Home Page Joining BCS Seed Exchange Members Area Site Map
Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis stem problems

Post Reply Post Reply
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
grandmasgarden View Drop Down

Quote grandmasgarden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis stem problems
    Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 2:28pm
I am still learning about clematis but this problem I have seems to defy all I can find in books.
I have 4 clematis 2 in the ground 2 pots. All are/were healthy but something is stripping the bark from the base upwards.
It started in early spring as they grew the bark was almost skinned. I made a thing with copper round to keep of slugs then resorted to pellets still the problem grows worse. One which was blooming beautifully is dying as the stems are becoming brittle and cracking where their 'skin' has been trimmed off. All 4 are affected Cry
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2008 at 10:05pm
Stripped stems is usually a sign of slug or snail damage, although you seem to have already tried to put I stop to these critters in one way or another (but have you succeeded). The copper ring is one solution but not only keeps slugs out but traps them inside and makes your plant a captive meal.
I would suggest you grab a flashlight and wait until dark, go out and inspect your plants and you will hopefully find the problem pest and then be able to deal with the problem accordingly.
Best regards
 Post Reply Post Reply