Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

no flowers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
francann View Drop Down

Quote francann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no flowers
    Posted: 21 Jun 2008 at 10:00am
i have a clematis growing on a front wall very rapidly but no flowers in over one year.  how can i encourage it to flower?
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 3:01pm
I think more information is required francann, do you know the name of the clematis? have you done any pruning?
Aidan View Drop Down

Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2008 at 10:37pm
I agree with Digger we need to know what type of clematis it is. Also was it planted last year? Is it planted in the shade or in the sun? What soil mixture did you plant it in and have you fed it with any plant feed since planting it?

Aidan
francann View Drop Down

Quote francann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 7:28pm
it is armandii and i did prune it a little when i first planted it but not since.  the roots are in shade and the rest of the plant catches the sun.  the soil is quite heavy and i have fed it with plant food
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2008 at 8:01pm
Well armandii are a prune group 1, I haven't grown these myself but from what I know they should flower about March or April, as the plant is against a wall it may be in what is called a "rain shadow" so it would be useful to ensure the ground is moist, and they don't like windy places maybe your soil is a little too heavy?
 Post Reply Post Reply