Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Can you name these Clematis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VeronicaMary View Drop Down

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you name these Clematis?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2008 at 11:58am
Hi

I have just joined the BCS and am looking forward to picking up lots of tipsWink

I have 51 clematis in my garden at the moment and most of them have labels or I just know what they are, but 2 of them puzzle me!  I think 1 is Jackmanii, it started flowering about a week ago, it's old and is growing out from under a beech hedge and is covered in mildew at the moment!  The other one I believe to be Etoile Violette and it covering my trellis with thousands of flowers which started about a month ago.

I was hoping to send photos but it seems they are too large (4mb not 75kb!)  so I will try to describe them.....what I think is Jackmanii has fairly small flowers with 4/5/6 tepals on the same plant, purple with a very pronounce white or pale stripe on the back which shows through to the front, with light greenish coloured anthers, covered in flowers and buds and mildew!  The one I believe is Etoile Violette is covered in deep purple medium/small flowers with 3 stripes down the middle but even coloured with yellow anthers.  New flowers are a much deeper maroon/purple and it flowers for months!

I need to really prune all my clematis properly this year, they have been a little neglected as far as pruning goes and have been doing 'their own thing' this year, masses of flowers on all of them but toppling everywhere so I need to prune them hard.

Kind regards
Veronica
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 11:30am
Hi Veronica,

If you can manage to shrink your pictures to less than 75K and then upload them that would be great (trying to identify a cultivar from just the description can be a nightmare).
Brian has detailed how to do the uploading and shrinking in a previous post if this is of any use, otherwise email them to me and I will do it for you.

Kind regards

Steve

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 12:35pm
Hi Steve

Here goes, this is what I think is Jackmanii:

and these are the Etoile Violette (?)
Some are a little fuzzy!  Thank you for your advice, I didn't know that was how it worked!
Kind regards
Veronica
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2008 at 8:18pm

Dear Veronica Mary,

I think that on both plants you are correct. The first pictures show Clematis 'Jackmanii', fully covered in mildew as you write. The colouring of the tepals (so not the shape) but especially the stamens - pistils is for me enough to conclude the name is Clematis 'Jackmanii'.

The second plant is indeed Clematis 'Etoile Violette'. However out of focus the flower shape and opening of the stamens is quite enough to identify this plant safely as Clematis 'Etoile Violette'.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2008 at 6:32pm
Dear Wim

Thank you very much for identifying the 2 clematis for me, I can now prune them as necessary

Kind regards
Kind regards
Veronica
 Post Reply Post Reply