Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Red Clematis?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VeronicaMary View Drop Down

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Clematis?
    Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 12:09pm
Good Morning

It's me again, I hope you are not fed-up with me already, it's just that I find I have so many questions about Clematis and haven't had anyone to ask, until now Tongue

Firstly, is there really such a thing as a large flowered RED Clematis?  By red, I mean scarlet or pillar box red not maroon.  For years I have had Rouge Cardinal and Ernest Markham and have just purchased Avant Gard and Kermisina (have not had any flowers yet) and my latest search was Rosemoor.  As beautiful as Rosemoor is, it is not the red they show in books or on the plant tag, once again it has produced a beautiful maroon flower!  I have now ordered Ruutel, which I am pinning my hopes on, am I wasting my time?  I do get a bit carried away when I want something Wink

Secondly, (and lastly today) are there any up to date books on Clematis?  I have borrowed a few from the local library and recently bought one, An Encyclopedia on Clematis but they are all written in the 90s!   Considering that new varieties are appearing all the time, half of my new clematis aren't even mentioned!  Has anyone published a book on Clematis in 2008 or 7 or even 2006?
Kind regards
Veronica
2ManyClematis View Drop Down

Quote 2ManyClematis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 1:31pm
In my experience, there are no large flowered clematis that are as red as you are looking for  - there is always a hint of blue in the colour.

Rebecca is new this year
The top photo is closer to the colour of the flowers I get.

Allanah is a favourite of mine

If the flowers don't have to be large, Gravetye Beauty is a classic

This book seems new

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 9:09pm
Just as I thought, the colours on the tags are so false, a bit like the colours of the flowers you get in those bulb catalogues!  Thank you, I must admit that Rebecca looks nice.
Kind regards
Veronica
Aidan View Drop Down

Quote Aidan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2008 at 10:12pm
Hi

Re your last question about up to date books on Clematis, apart from the Raymond Evison one, which I don't know about, there aren't any.  Trying to find a really good book on Clematis is like trying to find the Holy Grail. About as close as you'll get (and they're not up to date) are "The genus clematis" by Magnus Johnson" (you'lL have to go on the International Clematis Society site to order it from Sweden) and "Clematis the genus" by Christopher Grey-Wilson, but they don't really provide that much info on large flowered hybrids - more species oriented.  

The International Clematis Register and Checklist 2002 with first and second supplements is probably as up to date as you'll get - this is a reference book with supplements that record every species, hybrid, cultivar of clematis that are registered with a small amount of basic information. They are a bit dry but they provide enough good basic info about just about any particular clematis name which is all you really need, but they don't have any pictures. They can be ordered from the RHS website.

Clematis on the net is an excellent site and there are some other books by Everett Leeds, Mary Toomey, Barry Fretwell and John Howells that all add further pieces of the jigsaw.

Aidan

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2008 at 9:30am
Hi Aiden

Thank you for your help, it's just as I expected!  The shelves are full of gardening books by the celebrity gardeners but when it comes to 'detailed information' about what is actually growing in your garden, it's non-existant!  It was exactly the same with Dahlias (my other favorite) I bought an Encyclopedia of Dahlias, a massive book yet I didn't find one of my dahlias in there!  They were virtually all USA bred apart from the 'Bishop' series and I couldn't recognise any of my plants!
Kind regards
Veronica
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2008 at 3:51pm
Forget about books and look out for the New 2008 catalogue from Manfred Westphal in Germany, should be available very soon. This year it will have information in English and the Colour pictures are superb. His plants are very godd as well.

Roy Nunn Cambridge

Quote VeronicaMary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 11:20am
Hi Roy

Thanks, I will do that, where would I get it from?
Kind regards
Veronica
 Post Reply Post Reply