Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis kweichowensis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan2 View Drop Down

Quote Aidan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis kweichowensis
    Posted: 01 Sep 2008 at 10:38pm
Hello everyone
Does anyone know how hardy clematis Kweichowensis is? Can it be grown outdoors in UK?
Aidan 
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 2:24pm
Hi Aidan.
I know its a while since you posted but anyhow I thought you would still like a reply!
We have grown kwichowensis outside, on a sheltered, south-east facing wall in the corner of the walls.  It was given no winter protection but the two rooms where heated over the winter period.
We are in Norfolk so dryer than most parts of the country and warmer too, although we do get a much colder winter wind from the North and East.
Hope that helps.

Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
Aidan2 View Drop Down

Quote Aidan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2008 at 7:53pm
Hi Peter

Thanks for replying, I appreciate it. What's interesting about some of these species plants in the connata group is that so little is known about them, particularly in terms of hardiness, because some have only been discovered recently and so few people have grown them in cultivation - it is very much unchartered territory.

I am very interested in obtaining some of these more obscure species particularly from wild seed collections and seeing whether they can be grown in the north.

I haven't managed to locate a Kwichowensis yet and I am still searching, but I have yellow dangler which is related to repens and I also have a cross between repens x kwichowensis (both thanks to cuttings supplied to me by a fellow Danish clematis enthusiast) as well as repens. All of these I am growing on in my greenhouse until they are ready to be planted. I will plant them in the most southfacing, freedraining, sheltered part of the garden, so I am optimistic that with a good bark mulch they will survive.

Aidan
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2008 at 10:13pm
Hi Aiden
I have four C.repans growing in a container , which is left out all year round and they do OK . One thing I found is they do not like transplanting in Spring .
They are a bit later in flowering but they are still a good show of flowers on them now .  I lived in Leeds for a long time and I found it milder than my present location ,  I grew about forty of them from seed and gave the bulk of them to the BCS , I have not tried to breed from them but from what I hear they cross well  .  Best of luck with your search
Regards 
Ron.C

Post Reply Post Reply