Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Richard, re viticella booklet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
richardh View Drop Down

Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richard, re viticella booklet
    Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 6:32pm

I am Richard Hodson,Preston,Lancashire.  I am holder of National Collection of Clematis Viticella and have been a member of BCS for many years.

Late last year I was asked by then chairman Margaret Morris to compile a booklet together with Charlie Pridham from Cornwall,who also is a Collection Holder of Clematis Viticella,the booklet to be sold at various BCS venues for BCS funds.
This we put together last winter,taking quite an amount of my time and most of my(limited compared to some people)knowledge of the viticella family.
When the booklet was finished I asked Committee if I could have some to sell at my nursery and at talks and venues I attend,a parcel duly arrived and was followed by an invoice for £167.50. This I have paid and have enjoyed having the booklets to sell to customers.
I was then approached, out of the blue,by one of the parasite gardening press ,Gardens Monthly,to say that they were publishing a copy of the booklet in their September magazine. To say that I was not happy would be an understatement.Why let these leeches have this information intended to benefit BCS members?
However after contacting BCS Publicity Department and the new Chairman I was more or less informed to take it or leave it,their decision was final.
I have not purchased the magazine,nor do I intend to,but I would like to point out that the 'Special Offer'clematis they are selling in 7cm.pots are nothing to do with me and I would strongly advise BCS members to think carefully before shelling out for these inferior plants. All my plants are 2 year old in 2 litre pots,as I believe are plants sold by most reputable British nurseries.
I have tried to support BCS in the past,last year only 3 of us(all Northern)Nurseries advertised in the BCS Journal,29 in the free booklet.
Support BCS?     Yeah,right,as they say in Dragons Den,     I'm Out !!

digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2008 at 7:30pm
Hello Richard, I shall certainly take your advice about the inferior clematis, It make grim reading what you have posted and I think that surely something can be done to resolve the situation? it would be a great shame and a big loss to the society if you decided not to re new your membership, do you think that there is something that the society can do to reconcile the situation? I think it would be terrible for the society if a national collection holder withdrew his support.
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 12:06am
Richard,
Your story of the Viticella Booklet and the gardening magazine is of considerable concern. I will look into the situation and get back to you. I am sure that others of the BCS Committee will be as concerned as I am that inferior clematis plants should not be promoted!
Jack

Edited by Jackog - 06 Sep 2008 at 12:10am
Aidan2 View Drop Down

Quote Aidan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2008 at 6:46pm
I think that BCS (of which I am a member) should explain why they gave the go ahead for this gardening magazine to publish a copy of the booklet despite the opposition of one of the booklet's authors. I would urge Richard to remain in the society because we need him.

Aidan  
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2008 at 9:09pm
Hi Richard
Above is a collection of C.viticella flowers , that were grown from seeds given me by a friend , Earlier I had a look on a site of clematis at Hull University .
whilst they had a list of named flowers of C.viticella they did not have photo's of any of the varieties . I am not wanting to say that these are any different to any number of C.viticella . but always being curious  I wondered if you had a site with photo's of different varieties in your collection , if so could we have a look.
Ron.C

Post Reply Post Reply