Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

suggestions please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mcspanna View Drop Down

Quote mcspanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: suggestions please
    Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 12:57am
Dear All,

Newbie here.  Apologies if this is a tall order but I'm guessing it's worth a shot!  I found your forum searching google for 'clematis combinations'; I am looking for climbing plants for several locations in my garden.  I have posted on other boards about climbers in general but having bought my first clematis this year I'm impressed!  I only have a small garden so would be interested in your suggestions for combinations of clematis that can be grown in the following locations to flower for as much of the year as possible between them. 

a) in the ground to cover 2/3 6ft square fence panels up the side of the garden, south (ish) facing

b) North (ish) facing in the ground to cover a 6ft tall 2-3ft wide willow fan trellis attached to the garage

c) North (ish) facing in containers up the side of neighbours house (which borders the drive up the side of our bungalow) I'm thinking of two large containers (one at either end of the house)  with a piece of fan trellis or similar behind each (not bought anything yet)

I am in North Cheshire.

If people have tried and tested combinations which they would be willing to share, I'd be very grateful.  I can post pics of the locations if my descriptions are not clear.

Many thanks for any help in advance :-)

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2008 at 10:38am

Hi,

a) Rose, compassion and or Dublin Bay. with compassion grow Clematis Semu. With Dublin bay grow C. Entel.

b) Ideal for a C. machropetala, if the ground is or can be made to be well drained. I sugest the species, or C. Wesselton.

C) Not an ideal position for clematis, but C. Piilu is ideal for containers and seems to flower just about anywhere. Not a strong grower but hardy and very floriflorous.

Roy Nunn Cambridge.

mcspanna View Drop Down

Quote mcspanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2009 at 6:58pm

Thank you! I bought a new computer over Christmas and have only just found my way back!

Post Reply Post Reply