Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis 'Lawsoniana' or 'Peveril Pearl'

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis 'Lawsoniana' or 'Peveril Pearl'
    Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 8:21am

Dear Clematarians,

Many years ago I stayed with Carol & Keith Fair to study clematis on their Valley Clematis Nursery. In their stock they had Clematis 'Peveril Pearl' with enourmous flowers and ever since I say that 'Peveril Pearl' has the largest Clematis flowers.

October is the month I start selecting, naming and mapping all the pictures I take at work during the season. I came across with the pictures I took of Clematis 'Lawsoniana' and 'Peveril Pearl'. Which one has the largest flower? The pen is exactly 14 cm long.

Clematis 'Lawsoniana'

Clematis 'Peveril Pearl'

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim
Wim S
Paul View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 7:42am
Deceptive! The form of Lawsonia makes it look larger but there is practically no difference if you measure them. Growing conditions would influence size - optimal ones allowing them to make the most of their genetic potential.

Talking about large flowers, in Latvia this year we saw Jackmanii flowers that were 14-15cm in diameter - not just on one plant but on several and in different gardens. Do you ever get them that size?
Paul
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 9:06am
Dear Paul,

Postings on the BCS Forum is for our / my joy. There is nothing deceptive about it, nor a competition or whatever. I feel insulted.  

Also in Holland, either in nursery stock or in the garden, the first flowers of Clematis 'Jackmanii' reaches 15 cm with no problem.

Wim

Wim S
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 9:13am
Hi Wim I don't think you should feel insulted as I am sure this was meant that the form of the flower can be deceptive and not meaning that you where being deceptive.
Your right about Lawsoniana being the commonly thought of plant when it comes to big flowers and at the same time I have been growing Peveril Pearl for years and in the last two or three years it has performed particularly well.
It might be the weather perhaps but we have also seen a larger than normal flower size in the plants in production at the nursery compared to other years.
I have to add that we are now selling more Peveril Pearl than we have for several years and its late flowers are also very prolific compared to most large flowered types.
Like I said I don't think Paul meant to offend.

Peter
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2008 at 9:02am

Not deceptive, in this case Lawsoniana is clearly the largest flower.

Cheers

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply