Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis 'Zomy' in flower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis 'Zomy' in flower
    Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 7:19am
Dear Clematarians,

Just for the fun!!!

At the moment Clematis 'Zomy' I AMĀ® MYSTERIOUS is in flower, I took the pictures yesterday. John Howells gave me a plant in 2002. John bought the plant from Crug Farm Plants, Wales, with the name Clematis szuyuanensis.

The plant is in a 20 liter pot and was outside this summer. 3 weeks ago I put the plant in the greenhouse as you can see on the picture. The bamboo sticks are 1.8 m and the plant has about 25 flowers.

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

Wim S
Aidan2 View Drop Down

Quote Aidan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 11:28am
Hi Wim

This plant always looks so wonderful in the photos I have seen of it, yours especially so. There is a profile of it on the BCS site and an explanation of why you gave it this name. I am curious as to why Crug Farm said at first it was not their plant - do they have different variants of it, or did it look different in the wild? 

You have brought it in to the greenhouse for winter - does this mean it will not survive winter outside in Holland or England? In the BCS plant profile it says it has survived to -5 C outside - do you think it will not? I find it strange that it is related to Tangutica because the leaves look very different. Can I ask you what compost mixture you plant in in because it looks so healthy. 

This plant is expensive to buy in Britain - do you know where I can buy one in Europe?

Sorry for so many questions but for me this is such an interesting plant.

Regards

Aidan    
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2008 at 8:41pm
I have the plant too. Making cuttings is not so easy in soil but in Akdama in 3-4 weeks! I have the plant outside and an other hobbyist in a village not far from me has the plant for years in the garden.
A beautiful big flower.

Cuttings with Akadama. 3 Cuttings and 3 rooted plants!

Edited by ton hannink - 07 Nov 2008 at 8:54pm
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2008 at 10:05am
Good Morning,

I have no experience with Clematis 'Zomy' outdoors in winter. At the moment we have 4 plants, 2 in a 20 liter pot of which one is shown at the top picture, and 2 in full soil in that same greenhouse. These 2 full soil plants have stems 4 to 6 m long but no flowers.

Ton lives at a colder site in Holland than the nursery in Boskoop. In Boskoop we have a big Clematis 'Winter Beauty' outside in the clematis collection. Normally the leaves fall off after the first frost leaving bare stems with flowers in December-January. During stronger frosts in February the stems will freeze down to the basic aswell and the plant start al over again from that left over  base. So, that is the situation for 'Winter Beauty' and I guess, no experience but a simple guess, that 'Zomy' is less winter hardy then 'Winter Beauty'.

We had about 40 plants on our stocklist in 2006 but the trade was not interested and so the plants were all trown away except for those 4 I still have. Since then we do not propagate the plant anymore.

The 2 plants in the pot have a lot of coconut fiber in the soil for drainage. I also keep the plants rather dry. There is just a bit of Osmocote in the soil and I did not provide any extra feeding.

The cuttings from Ton look very healthy indeed.  I have no idea where you may buy a plant retail other than Crug Farm, but when some BCS members will do the same as Ton does, the plant should not be so rare anymore.

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

Wim S
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 8:05pm
Hi,

I have found that double node cuttings root very easily in my prop mix, bottom heat at 22 deg C. and misting. I have no spare plants at the moment but could root some cuttings next spring. I have always kept my plants 2 in the   cold greenhouse over winter. Last year I left a stray shoot outside via one of the vents. It was killed by the winter frost but the plant remained green in the greenhouse.

Roy W Nunn
Aidan2 View Drop Down

Quote Aidan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:18pm
Roy

Are you saying that you have a clematis zomy that you can take some cuttings from in the spring?

Aidan
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2009 at 11:02am

I bought one of these plants from Crug Farm during a BCS meeting there but it did not thrive for me in a sheltered tunnel and it rotted off. It looks as though it may only be half hardy. E

Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2009 at 8:47pm
In March 2009 I bought C.Szuyanensis (Zomy) from Crug Farm. I was very lucky because the plant they sent me is a very good specimen - it is very vigorous and has produced many stems. It is now beginning to develop tiny flower buds.
Aidan

Post Reply Post Reply