FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Importing clematis from China

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Importing clematis from China
    Posted: 16 Nov 2008 at 6:35pm
Hello everyone

Had to register again (3rd time) to get on this forum, so this time I'm Aidan3!

Anyway does anyone have any advice about importing clematis from China into UK as an individual - not as a business? I have ordered some clematis from China and the sender will provide a phytosanitary certificate, but I think I have to register with Defra through the PEACH process. Are there any other hidden charges i.e. inspection charges etc or is it fairly straightforward? Somehow I think British customs bureaucracy being what it is, it will not be straightforward.

Any advice on what I have to do will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Aidan
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2008 at 8:22pm
You are probably right that it will not be straightforward, but in defence of the customs people we have had some very "unsavoury" imports from China, can't help you with DEFRA, they only write to me when they want to know how many bovines or equines I have , but if you contact your county council and ask to be put through to "trading standards" they will be able to give you the correct and proper advice
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 9:29am

Hi Aidan

I know nothing about how you might go about this as a private individual I'm afraid. All I can suggest is that you try to contact Defra in your area of the country and ask them.
These things are not too complicated in the trade but always do it by the book. (a very fat book it can be depending on the inspector).
Peter
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2008 at 7:37pm
I get a lot of material from China without any problem. Now I have imported C. acerifolia, ganpiniana var. subsericea, connata, rehderiana, armandii with red anthers,  heracleifolia, intricata, pogonandra var. pilosa.
They send the plants bare roots but there are only a few roots so that you must have experience to get them growing.
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2008 at 6:51pm
maybe you could get an intermediary to import them for you?
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2008 at 8:57am
I received the plants from China several weeks ago and the process was quite straightforward. The plants arrived bare-rooted tighly packed in sphagnum moss. As Ton says they have hardly any roots - I found it quite difficult to work out which way up to plant them, as both ends looked fairly similar - basically they look like small twigs.

After studying them very carefully I am sure I have planted them all correctly. All of them apart from a few are showing signs of growth and some already have small leaves on them. I planted them in a mixture of seed compost mixed with kyodama (Japanese grit) and they are doing well in it. I planted them in the seed compost to encourage root growth. After the roots start developing I will pot them on in a better soil/compost mixture.

Aidan    
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 5:13pm
Some of my clematis from China are starting to grow already. The others have only tiny signs of growth so far, a few have no signs. I am pleased because they arrived with hardly any roots and have only been planted since 8.12.08. They are planted in Jonn Innes seed compost (to encourage root growth) mixed with Japanese grit - (Kyodama for Bonsai's) for drainage. 

Clematis Connata

Clematis Intricata #1

Clematis Intricata #2
Clematis Pogonandra

ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 6:35pm
Be aware that the plants do not have the right label is my experience but sometimes you have very interesting species. I have a species from China without the right name but the plant has not had flowers so that I do not know the name of the species.
clematisfreak View Drop Down

Quote clematisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2008 at 10:39pm
Hi all. Newbie here on the forum. I am intrigued by the idea of purchasing clematis from China and am wondering where you all are finding sites in China to order clematis from. I am unaware of such sites and would be most appreciative of any sites you can direct me to where they can be ordered.  Thanks in advance!Star
clematisfreak
clematisfreak View Drop Down

Quote clematisfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 1:50pm
Anyone want to share their sources for ordering clematis from China?????
clematisfreak
 Post Reply Post Reply