FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Little Yellow Dangler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 3:41pm
Thanks a lot Wim for the information , and than you Everett for starting the ball rolling . Wim you make me feel tired when I see the time you send mail .  I need at least a couple of hours  more sleep .    I will attempt to make contact as soon as I can , and will keep you up to date with any information i receive.
I cannot understand why Dave.G.'s plants gave up the ghost , the plants I kept have been outside since they were first potted up . I have only put them in a cold house this year  because of the mail that has indicated they are not hardy .  I never cut them back too hard, mostly trim of the scraggy bits and
long shoots that if they flowered would be a long way from the centre of interest.
I will see if pampering them pays off.
Again thanks
Regards   Ron.C

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 4:58pm
This is a photo of C.repen  taken last summer ,  The pot is supported by a further pot upside down to allow the growth to hang down , I have tried to grow
it up through a wire frame but it still hung down , I am still working on its growth into a tree and will update on my findings
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 08 Feb 2009 at 5:03pm
clematistuin View Drop Down

Quote clematistuin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 7:26pm
Wim I looked on COTW for I am Yellow could not ind it  Am I wrong
?
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2009 at 11:00pm

Ron

Thanks for posting this great photo - it really is stunning! Do you put it in a greenhouse over winter?

Aidan
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 3:19pm
Aidan
Yes it's in a cold greenhouse , and to be truthful it does not look as good as when I left it out last winter .   I don't know if it responds to feeding , but I intend to give it a try soon .

Ron.C
DaveG View Drop Down

Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2009 at 10:55pm
Hi Ron ,I think my plants failed because I cut them back to hard and then there was a period of very wet weather .I should have left them alone as they had been growing,that is they were not dormant, and were in leaf all winter.  Dave G.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 10:47pm
Hi Steve.
Never new I could span the key board with one hand .I  will  Take more water with it in future .Tried another twice with no luck . Be in touch soon
Regards
 Ron.C

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 5:25pm

C.repen in the wild  all photos are  copy right Dan Hinkley USA

I wish  this frame was large enough for me to see where the interesting points are. I will post this before  I loose it and write more about it later I never thought that any one would be so quick to be on the site be for I completed the write up.
as you will have seen I have had trouble in loading on to the site I have had the material ready for two weeks trying .My interest was raised as my plant one of the vines had grown up through a plant in a container above it and stated to root on the surface of the soil ,any way here goes.  Dan told me that on his second visit he checked that the roots were in the soil and not in the tree , I asked him if the vines had forced them selves though the moss on the tree which I had seen to be thick he confirmed this,and there was some rooting into the moss, and confirmed that on reaching the fork in the tree had formed a mat of vines that the supported the lush growth you can see, if you look on the top. photo you can see on the inner side a vine covered with moss . he also confirmed to me that the soil at the base of the tree  is very acid ,being damp but     well drained , and that the pliant only get week light and heat from the sun at 3000Mtrs .  As Dan is coming over he will be able to fill you in with any further details .
I thank Wim  Snoeljer for giving me the lead to contact Dan and Everett Leeds for raising my interest .
Ron.C
 excuse any rubbish I have had to type this with one finger on me left hand,and I am  R/H the other is out of action for a while

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 25 Feb 2009 at 10:55pm
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 7:38pm

Clematarians;

As can be read in this Forum item, Dan Hinkley introduced Clematis 'Bells of Emei Shan'.

Crug Farm Nursery in Wales will held a Dan Hinkley Day on Saturday 18 April 2009 where Dan will give a talk in the morning and a tour in the afternoon. See for more information http://www.crug-farm.co.uk/events-5.aspx

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim
Wim S
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 9:57pm
Ron

Thanks for taking the time and effort to contact Dan for these photos - they are quite amazing - they are the first photos I've seen of Bells of Emei Shan in the wild. 

Wim

Do you think these are photos are the necessary proof that the botanical species C. Repens and C. Bells of Emei Shan are the same? Or does the botanical species C. Repens look different from the plant in the photo? Are there any library photos of C.Repens in the wild that we can compare with Dan's photos?

P.S. I have bought tickets for the Dan Hinkley day and I hope maybe he can answer some questions on this.

Regards

Aidan
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2009 at 11:01pm
Aidan

Dan collected seed on his visit last fall , so he may be bringing some new stock over with him .Not that I think the new seedligs will be ready for then . I would love to visit the site if I was younger

Regards
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 25 Feb 2009 at 11:04pm
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 9:01am
Aidan,

No, the pictures do not prove that 'Bells of Emei Shan' is the same as Clematis repens. It is not that simple. Identifying botanical species from a picture is something better not to do. This to avoid that people conclude "oh, my plant does not look like that picture, so should it have another name?". Botanical species are so variable, you can not catch this variability in one picture.

There is a line drawing of Clematis repens in the Flora of China, tomus 28, 1980.

The pictures, however, prove, because of the known story by the collector and the origin of the pictures, that the pictures are the same as 'Bells of Emei Shan'.

The picture with the seedheads with the water drops is an absolutely stunning picture.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 12:21pm
Dave .
I do not know if you have thrown your plant ,that you said was dead , I checked
a C.Repens that I had thought to be dead , it had realy dried up , but I had a look at it this morning and there are signs of new shoots .  I will have to give it a bit TLC and see how it goes on .
Regards
Ron.C 
DaveG View Drop Down

Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2009 at 10:36pm
Hi Ron to late I'm afraid! I lost them last spring. But glad to here that your plant survived ,I shall have another go this year.Best wishes Dave G.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2009 at 2:33pm
Aiden

The plant Bells of Emei Shan Did not come from the plant illustrated , as no vegetative propagule has taken from this plant . The plants named Bells of Emei Shan are from a plant Dan Hinkley sent to Brewsters of Oregon ,if you have a plant C.repens , Bells of Emei Shan , it has to be a vegetated plant from this clone . Not from the one in the photo . As Wim has pointed out more eloquently than me  because a plant may be a look alike in the photo ,
it may not be so .

Ron.C 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:41pm
Hi
Did any one visit crug farm to the visit by Dan Hinkley .  was unable to go as
I was preparing to have some personal plumbing done , would love to hear any news on the visit .
Best Wishes   Ron.C

Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 9:58pm
Hi Ron
Yes, I went to the Dan Hinkley Day on 18th April. Dan gave a talk and slide show on the creation of Windcliff, his garden on a bluff at Pugest Sound, on the Kitsap Peninsula. Dan is a very entertaining and likeable character with a very informal style. I can thoroughly recommend hearing him give a talk if you have the opportunity.

I did talk to Dan about Bells of Emei Shan and he mentioned he had sent you the photos. I think he has some more which he was going to show me, but we were pushed for time. Dan said all the permutations of Bells of Emei Shan in circulation originated from seeds he collected from one particular plant that he also revisited at a later date, hence the different collection numbers. This confirms the accounts detailed in previous posts on this site. Dan's view was that any differences in the various permutations of Bells of Emei Shan must be down to natural variation because he only ever collected from the one and same plant.
We had a picnic lunch on Sue and Bleddyn's lawn and it was a nice sunny day which made it all very enjoyable. In the afternoon, Bleddyn gave us a tour of Crug Farm, the gardens, planting areas etc. All in all a great day out. Plus I bought another clematis of course!

Aidan 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2009 at 8:52pm
Aidan
Thanks for taking the trouble to fill me in regards the visit .
Many thanks
Ron.C. 
Hans J Kuus View Drop Down

Quote Hans J Kuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2009 at 12:23pm
Here is my Yellow Dangler in flower
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:27pm
Here are some photos of REP002 which Ton gave to me. I think it is related to yellow dangler.

Aidan

ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2009 at 8:43am
REP002 is a crossing between repens and kweichowensis. The red brown color is from kweichowensis. A very rich flowering crossing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12