FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Zojohnhowells

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zojohnhowells
    Posted: 10 Jan 2009 at 8:17pm
I noticed this fine looking viticella on clematis on the web. The information says Wim Snoeijer named this plant after the late clematarian Dr John Howells. I do not know anything about this viticella. Could Wim be so kind as to provide some more information about it? Is it available to buy?
Thanks

Aidan  

Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 10:37am
Good morning Aidan,

Thanks for your interest in Clematis JOHN HOWELLS and of course I can write a little bit about the plant.

When John died I proposed to Ola to name a clematis after John. At the nursery we had a couple or so possible breedings ready for introduction from which I choose a Viticella Group plant as this was one of John's favourite Groups. I send Ola a picture of the plant and Ola and her sons and daughter agreed with the choice.

We applied for EU Plant Breeders Right under the name 'Zojohnhowells' as we try to apply, when there is no obstruction, under 'Zo......' names as these are the first 2 letters of the nursery name Zoest, J. van Zoest B.V.

From our nursery we did not had to many plants available for sale in autumn 2008 as most of our production went to the UK, to New Leaf Nursery, which is a wholesale nursery. New Leaf Nursery supplies UK retailers and I know that Thorncroft Clematis Nursery will put the plant up for show in 2009. Peter, when you are there, do you have some more information at this moment yet?

I hope Steve, BCS webmanager, does not mind to refer to our website address but that is www.clematisinfo.nl. You will find more information about the plant when you click on "Clematis" and then click on "introductions by Wim Snoeijer".

Personally I am so pleased about this introduction and about the name too. But more importantly, I hope that gardeners will like the plant too.  

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

picture of Clematis JOHN HOWELLS 

Wim S
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2009 at 11:22am
Wim,
I just looked through your Introduction on your website, - a very impressive set of clematis. We sometimes think that too many new clematis are being introduced. In this case, this is not true, I know that your selection criteria are very sharp!
For me, the viticellas are most tempting.
Good work Wim!
Regards, Jack
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2009 at 7:22am
Good morning Jack,

Thank you for looking at our website and your kind words.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2009 at 10:57am
Hello from Thorncroft.

Yes, we have some plants of John Howells and hope to display them at Chelsea IF we can get them into flower. Wim thinks we should be able to do so, given a bit of sunshine and warmth this spring.
We are always up for a challenge, so watch this space!

Our new introductions should all be on the website by February at the latest. If you are signed up for our Newsletter we will let you know when that is done.

However, at present I am totally dedicated to adding photographs to our website as this job has been waiting for nearly two years now! Again, we will let folks know when that is complete by our On-line Newsletter.

We wish all members and friends well for the coming season. Time to polish those secateurs!

Regards from Ruth, Jon and Peter
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
 Post Reply Post Reply