Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

A new clematis enthusiast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mal View Drop Down

Quote Mal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new clematis enthusiast
    Posted: 18 Jan 2009 at 1:04pm
I am a very new clematis enthusiast.  But there are so mary varieties to choose from.  I don't know where to start.
Last year i dug out a hedge of leylandi and i have now build a 6 foot wooden fence.
It is 90 ft long and 6 ft high.  The fence faces west and is in full sun for much of the day but is exposed to prevailling south westerly winds.  The soil is quite sandy, free draining and fertile.  i would like to plant clematis that will cover the fence (even in winter) ?? if possible and also give a good displace of flowers.
Would you be able to recommend some good options of clematis and/any other plants you may think are suitable.  I live in North Somerset - 2 miles from the Bristol Channel.
Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Mal
digger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote digger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2009 at 5:28pm
Hello Mal and welcome to the forum my friend, you could plant the montanas they will grow like the clappers and cover your fence in no time at all, and the  macropetalas will do well also
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2009 at 10:51pm
Hello Mal. To start with enrich the soil, it having been drained of all goodness by the conifers.Plant all the pruning codes in seperate blocks if you want colour/growth all year around-don't mix them up as it makes pruning a nightmare. If you are new to clematis start with a block with those prefixed with the word 'viticella', Group 3. Try a couple of montanas,Group 1, and couple of early large flowed group 2. See Fact Sheet 'Easy Clematis'.  Don't be too ambitious in the first instance, Good luck                                  
Mal View Drop Down

Quote Mal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2009 at 9:37am
Thank you - very much.  From what I have read about clematic - this advice  seems to be very good advice.  I want to order my plants from a reputable and respected supplier - are you able to recommend anyone?  What should I enrich my soil with and how long afterwards should I commence planting?  Best wishes. Mal
DaveG View Drop Down

Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 8:28pm
Hi Mal, My favorite clematis is Fond Memories it really is a beautiful plant.Try Taylors Clematis I have recently bought plants from them and they offer very good value for money .Log onto their web site www.taylorsclematis.co.uk they have a sale on at the moment. Best wishes Dave G.
 Post Reply Post Reply