Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

dioscoreifolia robusta.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
clematistuin View Drop Down

Quote clematistuin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dioscoreifolia robusta.
    Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 4:32pm
I have two diosc. rob. in my garden. One I bougth round 1998 and the other 7 years ago.
The problem is  I sent seeds away and I get the question is this a terniflora .
The worse thing I remember there was something with it but it is out of my mind.
Both plants are between 2.50 and 3.00 cm high.
I can't say how the leaves look but I donn't think they are 35 long and 30 cm. wide like Johnson writes on page 623 . Then written is  "It is a vigorous liane house". The plants I have come every years again out of the soil  and then  I should think it is a recta
Can somebody help me to the right answer
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2009 at 8:25pm
Dear Roelie,

Questions like yours are difficult to answer in a forum like this because text might not be read as how the author meant it. But I give it a try, a short one.

At botanical level the name Clematis dioscoreaefolia var. robusta is a synonym of Clematis terniflora.  When cultivated though, strictly the name is a synonym of Clematis 'Robusta'. But with this information your plant is not identified.

Size of a plant is hardly of any use to identify the plant. So, your 2 plants might differ in size dramatically while still having the same name.  

The distribution of the botanical species Clematis terniflora is enourmous. This gives us a very variable species. For instance in Japan plants growing in the north of the country are more like decidious perennials and in the south plants are evergreen climbers.

The fact that a plant in the garden does not look the same as a picture in a book does not mean that the plant is something different and that it should have another name. Botanical species in general are very variable and so does cultivated species. For instance, the botanical species Clematis montana flowers from white to dark purple and has a flower size from 2 cm to 12 cm across. And all these "forms" can be identified and named as Clematis montana.

The first identification of a Clematis terniflora is that the stems should not be hollow. Also Clematis flammula has no hollow stems. Closely related species as Clematis recta and Clematis mandshurica has hollow stems. This characteristic is something you can check right now with a flash light or tomorrow at day time. The rest of the identification can be done at flowering time.

I hope it all makes sence.

Best wishes,

Wim

Wim S
clematistuin View Drop Down

Quote clematistuin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2009 at 7:26pm
thank you Wim for the answer . Don't expect me to go now with flas light for it is slibbery here at the moment so I will go to-morrow and as soon as I see green I will make a picture to show.
I will sent you this year the flowers when I have flowers .
Thanks again and greetings Roelie
 Post Reply Post Reply