Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Adding pictures to your post

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding pictures to your post
    Posted: 08 Feb 2007 at 7:44pm
Adding images to your post

You can put a picture in the Forum by adding an image or images in the position/s you wish them to appear. Images are copied ("uploaded")  from your own "local" computer and transferred to the "remote" computer on which the Forum is hosted. The image is then visible in your message.

When you have read through to the bottom of an existing post, you will see that there is an option for a "quick reply" box, at the foot of the posting. If you choose the "quick reply" box you can't post a picture, so, instead, use the "reply" button located on the top right hand side of the post proper. This gives a wider range of options, and includes this  icon, which you use to upload photos in a reply.

You can upload photos using this icon when you compose a new topic or reply message  - the icon is above the oblong white box into which you enter your text message. 

To upload your image:

1.  simply click on this "treee" icon, and the "picture upload" box will appear. The box is headed "Image properties" at the top left corner. In the lower left of the box a "browse" button can be seen, and
2. when you click this button a "choose file" window will open. In this window you can
3. navigate to the chosen image on your own computer, and
4. click it, to select it. The name of the image will then appear in the "file name" (lower middle) box, confirming the name of the selected image. To the right of this you will see a button marked "open".
5. Click the "open" button and the "choose file" window will close, leaving the image name now visible to the left of the "browse" button.

You have now selected the image to be uploaded.

Below the image name box is a button maked "Upload".
6. Click on this and a message will appear - "Please be patient while the image is being uploaded to the server". Click "OK" and after a few moments the image will appear in the "Preview" box on the right hand side.
7. Finally, click "OK" below the picture and the image will be inserted into your message.

You can then see a preview of what the entry will look like by clicking the "Preview post" button, or you can just post the message by clicking the "Post New Topic" button.
 You can change the position of images either by "dragging and dropping" or by "cutting and pasting".

Size of image

The size limit is generous and images of up to 75kb can be uploaded. This is large enough to permit good detail and size.
If the image you want to post is larger than 75kb, you can decrease the size - either "re-size" it using your own computer software, or you can use a simple "web-based" resizing service.
An example (there are several different sites all offering a similar service) can be found at http://www.shrinkpictures.com/  You simply go to that website and follow the instructions. There is a range of size options for you to choose from, you soon get the hang of it once you have practised a few times. The service is free and quick.
Follow the directions given to save the re-sized picture to your own computer. Then when you come to write your message you can choose the now re-sized image.

Dimensions of image

There is a "practical" limit to the WIDTH of the image as it is actually seen in the post. The maximum width is 794 pixels. If the image is wider than this, a "scroll bar" appears at the foot of the posted message. You can use the scroll bar to view the whole of the image but it is a little awkward because you may need to "scroll" to see all of the text, also. But if you keep the image to a maximum of 794 pixels the image fills up the screen nicely, without needing to be "scrolled". Anything less than 794 pixels is fine and presents no such complication.

When you have read through to the bottom of an existing post, you will see that there is an option for a "quick reply" box, at the foot of the posting. If you choose the "quick reply" box you can't post a picture, so, instead, use the "reply" button located on the top right hand side of the post proper. This gives a wider range of options, and includes the  icon, so you can upload photos in a reply.

Some examples:

This image (seedling G65D) has dimensions of 760 x 570 pixels (so, less than 794 pixels) and size of 59.7kb (much less than the maximum size of 75kb).

This one is 681 pixels wide x 570 height and size 65kb:

And this is 600 x 450 and only 31.9kb:

So with a little practise you can change the size and dimensions of pictures to suit your taste. The above photos were all re-sized using the http://www.shrinkpictures.com/ site and each one took a couple of minutes to process. All were originally 500kb size, and dimensions 1280 x 960. So you can see the reduction is significant, but the images are still good enough.

I will come back to this thread and edit it, if I spot any errors or if I've missed anything that should be included:  very likely!

If anyone wishes any clarifications or to ask any questions, please just post a reply, (using "quick reply" box below, if you DON'T want to include a picture) (or "reply" button on top right of post, if you DO wish to include a picture!) and I'm sure help will be forthcoming! If anyone has any further tips/ideas etc to add on the subject, please feel free to do so! I've tried to keep any "jargon" to the minimum but please don't hesitate if you need anything explaining! The Forum software is new to me also, so please pardon any errors, as I too am learning as I go along!!

Some more pics and sizes:

570w x 760h and 40kb. C. coactilis

760w x 570h, and 56kb

A very young seedling of C. phlebantha, 480w x 640h and 61kb

487w x 650h, and 58kb

Dimensions 760w x 570h, and size 35kb.

Edited by bcollingwood - 12 Mar 2007 at 7:23am
B. R. Collingwood
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 8:43pm
Brian,
Help, my browser just gives me a "Quick Reply" option, so there is no "tree" icon to select for the Upload of an Image!

To emphasise, above this box only - "ABC, Hyperlink, BIUA?" icons are available!

Jack
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2007 at 8:54pm
Jack,

Hit the Reply button at the top right of the posting you wish to reply to and this will take you to a reply box with the icons you are looking for. The Quick reply box right at the bottom is purely for posting a quick text only reply.

Steve
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2007 at 11:35am

this one! 

Edited by bcollingwood - 10 Mar 2007 at 11:35am
B. R. Collingwood
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2007 at 6:48pm
Thanks,
I found the button and sent my image yesterday. I suppose the 'Reply' buttons make replying possible to each individual posting! I hadn't thought of that function and went to the bottom of the form, just getting the Quick Reply function.
Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply