FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

C.Heracleifolia?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C.Heracleifolia?
    Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 10:22am
Can anyone help identify this clematis I received from China, labelled C. Heracleifolia? Firstly I am not 100% sure it is a clematis and secondly if so is it Heracleifolia?  Any thoughts will do.  

Can anyone help identify this clematis from China labelled C. Intricata?

Thanks

Aidan
DaveG View Drop Down

Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2009 at 11:29pm
Looks like a tomato plant.
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 4:25pm
The first is almost sure heracleifolia but the second looks like a Clematis which I have from China but I do not know which species, had never a flower.
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2009 at 8:55pm
Ton

Thanks, that's reassuring.

Aidan
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 8:38am

Dear Aidan,

I agree with Ton.

The first picture seems a form of Clematis heracleifolia. The terminal leaf shows a truncate base which makes the plant already interesting!!

The second picture is definately not a Clematis intricata and is not even related to the Section Meclatis. In my view the plant is related to Section Vitalba. My experience, like Ton's, is that plants are difficult to get into flower. We have a similar plant at the nursery for over 5 years now and has never flowered. You might incourage flowering by growing a couple of plants from cuttings taken from this original plant. Plants grown from cuttings seem to flower more quickly (adult stage) than plants raised from seed (juvinile stage).

Good luck.

Wim
Wim S

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2009 at 8:36pm
Several year ago I have imported the same plant from China. A very difficult plant to get the plant through the Winter. Making cuttigs is also difficult, only one!
Later I post a picture.
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 11:07pm
Regarding the first one, it would be best to wait until you have a flowering stem. It certainly look like an herbaceous clematis. Try not to over-water as the fine root system may rot off. Put plenty of grit into the compost for drainage and make sure the container drains well too. Normally in the UK they are late to flower, around end of July thro' to Sept. E

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2009 at 6:40pm
Here is a cutting of the heracleifolia from China. The cutting and the mother plant have not had problems during winter.

Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:53pm
Have we discounted C.stans?
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 9:02am
Have we a flower to look at yet? Everett

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 7:47pm
Yes, I have the first flowers. Tomorrow I make pictures. Dark leaves and dark flowers.
 Post Reply Post Reply