FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

C.fosterii cross

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C.fosterii cross
    Posted: 05 Mar 2009 at 12:22pm
when  the Bcs held its last meting at the Bird Garden , Sylvia Denny gave me three seedlings ofa cross between C.parviflora and C. fosterii , I never managed
to get any seeds from them until last year. I do not know what the pollen Parent is as I did not pollinate them from any
cross my self .  The nearest clematis was C.viticila . and C.repens  so I am hoping it is the latter . I have managed to get four seeds growing from the  Few seeds I got from the plant .  it will be interesting to see the results.

Ron.C

Another photo lost.???Confused

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 05 Mar 2009 at 10:55pm
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 3:46pm
Hi Ron,

With reference to the C. forsterii x parviflora cross (fosterii does not seem to exist as a clematis). As you are no doubt aware this is a cross of two New Zealand clematis. I have not found it possible to cross the New Zealand group with any other than the native species, except that some Australian/Tasmanian species seem to be compatible. I think it extremely unlikely that your plant would cross with a viticella or repens.

Best of luck with the offspring anyway.

Cheers

Roy Nunn
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2009 at 10:31pm

Hi Roy .

Sylvia Denny gave me these plants , and one still has the label on it and that is the cross they had made .  The three plants have flowered before near each other and never a seed for years , and as soon as I move them to different places in the garden , not is direct sight of each other , one set seeds , I was told that they are single sex , so the pollen came from some place , it will be interesting to see the results , if it takes them as long to flower as the plant they came from it will be a year or two before they flower .  I am pleased you posted a comment on them I will try again to post a photo of the flowers , they are a plant I have only kept because they are evergreen and they were a gift .
Best Wishes
Ron.C.

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 06 Mar 2009 at 10:33pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 11:28am

These are the flowers of the C parviflora X C.fosterii plant given to
Me by Sylvia Denny , they  are not a striking flower but interesting to me
They are all in containers as my garden soil is sandy clay and after a days sun  it will dry out quickly , I  can't say I know a lot about these types of Clematis
I find they like to have moisture at the roots ,maybe Roy can educate me more on them  I  am always interested to learn more .

Ron.C

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 07 Mar 2009 at 11:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply