Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

vertical layering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vertical layering
    Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 3:18pm
Dear Clematarians,

We have 2 (Clematis texensis) on our nursery, both kindly given by Mike Brown. One flowers with red flowers, the other one with salmon coloured flowers.
Of course I tried propagation by soft wood cuttings but no success.

Because of interest I have tried something else : vertical layering. I have cut out the bottom of the pot and put the first one over the growing shoots. While the shoots were still growing I put another on top of the first one which I filled up with propagation mixture and then a 3 pot even. I hope the nodes, that are now in the propagation mixture, will root during this season.

I will let you know if the shoots have rooted later this year.

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

pictures below of the (Clematis texensis) with the red flowers

picture above taken at 31 March 2009

picture above taken at 27 April 2009

pictures below of the (Clematis texensis) with the salmon flowers

picture above taken at 31 March 2009

Wim S
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:41pm
Wim, very interesting. I hope that you have results so that we can propagate these beautiful clematis group.
Timo View Drop Down

Quote Timo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:46pm
An interesting experiment, Wim!
I have used a slightly different application of the method, which I have found called mound or stool layering. My plants are growing i the garden. I have only used one pot, with the broader end down. This 'Westerplatte' gave many small plants, but with C. fusca I had no success.

Edited by Timo - 28 Apr 2009 at 8:02pm
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 5:26pm
Hi Wim,

I have successfully carried out this process with species in the Viorna group, but I found that C. texensis was the slowest to make any roots from buried nodes, it took two seasons to make viable roots and then I only managed to get three divisions from ten buried nodes. Quite a slow process, whereas C. viorna produced six root divisions from six buried nodes in one season.

It is possible to graft C. texensis onto vitalba rootstock, but I understand from the experts only to expect 50% take. I have not tried this method.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Roy Nunn
Cambridge
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 7:09pm
 Hello Wim,Interesting, let us know how you get on, Everett
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 8:17pm
Hello Wim
I was about to ask if there were any results to date ,with your experiment .I stopped one of my C.texensis as it was growing to tall ,and tried to root the growth I had taken off , but they just did not last more than a week or so , these were soft wood cuttings , I have never had enough material to try from mature cuttings to try.
Due mostly to lack of attention on my part even my seeds did not germinate this year. Still there is another year on its way . try try again .
Regards
Ron.C

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2009 at 7:25am

Dear Ron,

I need to check if this vertical layering did work but will leave it untill later this year, November or so.
Either with or without result, I will let the forum know.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 10:59am

Dear Ron and Clematarians,

I had a quick look into the pots, I could not resist. The texensis is enourmous with the old leaves dead but the outer parts still with healthy leaves and flowers. In the upper of the 3 pots I quickly discovered 2 small roots. I hope more have grown on the shoots further down the stems.

I have also tried a few cultivars from the Diversifolia Group and Patens Group. One I did was Clematis 'Ruriokoshi', given to us by Mrs Kuriyama in 2004. I tried soft wood cuttings since but without luck. But the results from this vertical layering seems very promising as you can see on the picture.

All pictures were taken on last Friday, except the flower picture.

Will post more pictures in December or so when the plants are "harvested".

Wim

2 small rootes just visible on the texensis plant

3 pots on top of each other, shown here is Clematís 'Ruriokoshi'

flowers of Clematis 'Ruriokoshi'

Wim S
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2009 at 8:05pm
Dear Wim
Thank you for the update on the vertical layering. , there seems to be some progress , but I will not break out the Champagne yet but there is definitely
some sign of roots. Will it be possible to detach these rooted side shoots from the main stem without damaging the root system ,I imaging the  November check will throw more definite findings on the success of the experiment. The C.'Ruriokoshi '  appears to have been even more inclined to root by this method .  One point that may be irreverent but I must ask , did you include any rooting aid product  in either of these experiments.
Thanks once more for your update I can imaging a lot of others will be interested in your experiments success .
Regards and best wishes
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 19 Oct 2009 at 8:07pm

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 7:44am

Dear Clematarians,

As promised I would come back on this issue. I did "harvested" the plants on which I tried the vertical layering.
Also in this years BCS Journal there is a similar topic by Timo.

The salmon Clematis texensis had only one shoot with roots, the red Clematis texensis had no roots on the shoots at all.
As with normal soft wood cuttings in Clematis only the thin stems had rooted, the thick stems had no roots.
All plants I tried had already rather large new white asparagus-like shoots. My guess is that when I left the pots as the were for next year too, these new shoots would had rooted in 2010. This normally happens when a rooted cutting is potted up in March and then all nodes of the new shoot below soil level will root that same year. I did my vertical layering on the plants in June-July, the stems were already to thick and to woody, to late.
From 'Benedikt', we had from Irmgard & Manfred Herian to propagate, I could make several very good cuttings and from 'Ruriokoshi' we have more cuttings now then via soft wood cuttings we tried before.

In general I can conclude that the results were less positive then I expected. It would had been better if I left the pots on the plants for another year.

Wim

the salmon Clematis texensis

Clematis 'Ruriokoshi'

Clematis 'Benedikt'

Clematis 'Benedikt'

Wim S
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2009 at 10:36pm
Very interesting Wim. I have had a winter fleece wrapped around the stems of my clematis parviloba var barletti for over one year. When I started to take it off in spring this year I noticed that the stems had produced roots. I was worried that if I unwrapped the fleece it might kill the plant if these aerial roots were exposed so I put the fleece back on the stems. The plant is doing fine and is still flowering right now.
The plant seems to be evergreen as it keeps a lot of its leaves throughout winter - maybe that's why the roots grew.
If I wanted to plant these stems with roots in the spring how do I do this?

Aidan
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2009 at 10:05am
Hi Aidan,

It is quite an easy and simple operation. Cut out the stem that has rooted an inch below where the roots have formed. cut out this stem two nodes above the formed roots, then pot up the resulting plant, burying the first set of nodes if possible. Water as normal, but an aditional spray with plain water or alternatively with a fungicide every day for a week seems to help the plantlets settle down.

Best wishes

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply