Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis delavayi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis delavayi
    Posted: 30 Apr 2009 at 5:42pm
Hi All,

Has anyone managed to propogate C. delavayi, so far I have tried semi ripe single and double node cuttings, hardwood cuttings with and witout bottom heat and grafting onto vitalba stock. I cannot try layering as the stems quickly become woody and will not bend to ground level. When I have some decent new growth on my plant this year I plan to try air layering, which I have had reasonable success with in the past. Although my plant flowers every year so far it has not produced any seed. I am hoping to get a few plants going so that I can try it in the garden as its flowers are beautiful (similar to C. phlebantha) and its fine foliage resemble some shrubby cotoneasters.

This plant was growing outside at Kew adjacent to a garden wall, some years ago, I dont know if it is still there.

Roy Nunn

Cambridge
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2009 at 10:23pm
Hi Roy
I do not know if your plant is in a pot or the ground , or how tall it is , but if it is in a pot and not too tall , try laying it on its side just short enough away from a
wall or such ,and if , as one of my plants that had blown over did, the growth will turn up to wards the light , and then just cover the stem joints with compost and it then can be layered and with a bit of luck it may root . My plant was a seedling of my own cross that I was growing on , two out of three stems rooted. The plant grew as normal the next year . The flower was not that great but it worked .  Best of luck
Ron.C.
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2009 at 6:55pm
At a BCS meeting ......years ago, we saw this plant inside one of the greenhouses at Kew
 Post Reply Post Reply