Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Alternate-foliage seedling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternate-foliage seedling
    Posted: 02 May 2009 at 11:14pm
A seedling, which has not flowered yet. It can be seen from the old wood that it bore alternate foliage last year, too.

I am fairly sure it will flower this season. It came into active growth a lttle later, after winter, than some others. Now that it is producing extension growth I can do lots of cuttings. The early foliage is trifoliate, but only until it gathers itself (or from where it has been trimmed), then the trifoliate leaves give way to simple leaves and the plant is very beautiful and symmetrical when fully clothed. Obviously the flowers will be terriby exciting even if only to confirm the id. If it is something different, it would be...interesting! Needless to say, I cannot wait to see flower buds beginning. I am expecting something like:

Hope I'm completely wrong!

Edited by bcollingwood - 03 May 2009 at 9:11pm
B. R. Collingwood
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2009 at 3:31pm
Hello Brian,

Do you know the origin of the seed, was it from a cultivated source or wild collected.

Some clematis from the group Conatea produce alternate foliage growth in their first year or two of life, especially in their new growth. In fact your pictures resemble the first two years of growth on C. connata var. pseudoconnata but subsequently the alternate habit almost dissapeared and the numbers of leaflets increased from one or three to 5 or 7. I wait to see what the flowers turn out to be.

Best of luck

Roy
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 12:30pm
Hi Roy
I've seen the usual transition from alternate to opposite foliage many many times in seedlings, in several groups, and even seen some slight degree of 'alternation' at later stages in some other plants, but this is out and out alternate, like alternata, and is past a couple of years old now.
It is coming on well and I expect there might be flowers relatively soon, though no buds just as yet.
The simpler leaves are quite alternata-like, but at the moment it is also producing one or two trifoliate, maybe this could be normal for a young alternata proper, in my conditions, although I haven't seen much of this in the alternatas I've grown to-date. Time will tell! I will lop off the excess growths soon and do some cuttings, then I can send or bring you one (to the Mids meet later in the year) if you'd like.
Once it gets to budding I will post a couple of pics here. The seed, from Nepal.
B. R. Collingwood
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 8:37pm
Hi Brian,

I have checked descriptions of C. alternata in Magnus Johnson and Flora of China, neither mentions anything other than simple leaves. Certainly observations of my plants has only produced single leaves, but I have on rare occasions seen double nodes. Certainly there are a great many interesting, dificult to identify, plants coming out of Nepal. I would certainly be interested in a cutting at some stage. I have placed some cuttings of C. connata var pseudoconnata ( if that is what it turns out to be) into the propogator this week and am hoping that I can get some plants going, one will have your name on it.
Small buds are starting to apear in the leaf axils this week, so with luck we should get some flowers this year.

Best wishes

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply