Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Wada's Primrose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jeano View Drop Down

Quote Jeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wada's Primrose
    Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 7:49pm
Please could anyone give me some advice about the Wada's Primrose Clematis.We have two,and we have had LOTS of leaf growth this year,but no sign of any flowers.We had the original one in a pot and did get the occasional flower-this was in sunlight near a gateTHEN my husband read in a manual that it should be in more shade-so duly moved them there-in pots.Nothing but leaf growth on both.Would be grateful for advice.Thanks in anticipation,Jeano
2ManyClematis View Drop Down

Quote 2ManyClematis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 2:43pm
It may help to know that my Wada's Primrose flowered well this year in full sun on our rather exposed patio.  I had cut it right down about this time last year after a poor display last year whereas normally, of course, you would prune it only lightly.

Huw
Jeano View Drop Down

Quote Jeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2009 at 8:12pm
SmileThank you Huw-VERY disappointing when they were bought for sentimental reasons some time ago,not recently-and lacking in display-never had a lot of flowers anyway,when the others we have do so well usually.Will pass your info to my husband-the head gardener.Jeano
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 9:12am
Wada's primrose is a large flowered cultivar with delicate colouring that will fade in open brilliant sunshine, hence the advice about shade. However, there is shade and deep shade. I would recommend planting on an east or west facing aspect so that it only has sun for half the day. Regarding no flowers, this sometimes happens if a plant is over fed and this makes them produce more leaf and growth only. Have you tried herbaceous scented varieties? Everell
 Post Reply Post Reply