Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

pixi clematis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pixi View Drop Down

Quote pixi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pixi clematis
    Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 8:39am
Hi, Im new here, so bear with me.

I have a clematis called Pixi (for obvious reasons) which is very small & dainty, we recently planted it in to a border & it appeared to flourish for about 3 weeks & dropped its flowers & now looks really dry despite watering & generaly not very happy at all. it was planted in the same place its pot has been for a year.
any suggestions ?

Thankyou
pixi
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2009 at 9:52am
Hi Pixie,

The Clematis Pixie is a clematis from the New Zealand group introduced by Graham Hutchins of Essex. This type of clematis requires special growing conditions, that if replicated, will result in a healthy plant that may last for many years.

Firstly the soil; ideally the soil should be well drained, acidic to neutral pH. a raised bed with alpine type soil is most suitable and once its roots are established a 80mm layer of pea shingle covering its roots is most helpful in preventing the crown of the plant from rotting. Some shade is preferable especially during summer months, chose a sheltered spot that is reasonably frost free plus protection from winter wet.

General care, do not provide a rich soil as copious fertilizer is not required, sharp drainage is vitally important. Ensure the plants roots are kept damp during the growing season, but keep as dry as possible during winter. After flowering cut flowered sideshoots back to the main stem. Prune any dead stems or leaves back to green growth, pruning back to 6mm above a healthy node.

Pests; look out for scale insects on the stems and undersides of leaves. Scrape off any scales with your thumb nail and spray with an insecticed, I use Vitax Two in One.

The flowering period for pixie is only about three weeks, in April/May, but it is important to do any pruning immediately after flowering, cutting out all flowered side shoots and any dead leaves or stems. At this time I give the plant a liquid feed of an ericasious fertilizer such as Miracid, this would possibly be your best course of action at this time, as this plant should be putting out its new growth now, readying itself for a new batch of flowers next year.

One point that I have found is that if Pixie is fed too much it tends to produce lots of lush growth followed by many flowers, followed by immediate death or a slow terminal decline.

Best of fortune.

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply