Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

C. heracleifolia from China

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: C. heracleifolia from China
    Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 6:14pm
About 7 years ago I had got a C. heracleifolia plant from China. The first years the plant would not grow and it was difficult to keep him alive. Last year the plant start with growing and I had made cuttings(Mike had got a plant).
This year the plant has a lot of flowers. the flowers are dark and the leaves are very dark. The size is about 70cm.

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 5:06pm
Hello Ton,

Is the plant scented?
Do you find the C. heracleifolias require acid soil? I have noticed that some plants in pots with slightly acid soil seem to grow better than plants in alkaline soil.

Best wishes

Roy
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 5:49pm
Roy,

The plant is not scented.
I have for all my clematis in pots special acid soil of a proffesional soil company.

Ton
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 8:37am
Hi Ton, I have a plant very similar to yours, very dark crumpled foliage and dark flowers. Mine is sold as C. 'China Purple'. I tried an experiment a few years back by crossing C.'Buckland Longshanks' with C. 'Cassandra' to try and get scent into Longshanks. They have flowered this year but they seem to have come out half and half, either following Longshanks without any scent or like Cassandra, highly scented but with short pedicels. Shall have to try again! Hope you and yours are well,Everett
Everett View Drop Down

Quote Everett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2009 at 8:38am
Re the above, China Purple has no scent either, Everett
 Post Reply Post Reply