Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Gardner's Question Time

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sue Reade View Drop Down

Quote Sue Reade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gardner's Question Time
    Posted: 12 Feb 2007 at 9:50pm
Did anyone else hear the programme last week? Someone asked the panel for suggestions for winter flowering clematis from November through to April. Cirrhosas were almost dismissed because the flowers were too small and the questioner already had Armandii. Generally the questioner was steered away from Clematis. I feel it would have been nice to steer her in our direction but I guess that's not BBC policy. The answers were disappointing to say the least. Can I ask how the experts would answer it?
Sue Reade
keith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2007 at 6:20pm
Sadly too many 'experts' seem to have a limited appreciation of anything but the 'show girls' of the genus.  I have often shuddered at some of the tips given by even some of our more respected garden celebs when clematis are concerned.
keith
katie View Drop Down

Quote katie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 7:49pm
I love my cirrhosa's.  I don't think the blooms are that small they are just not as striking as the summer bloomers.  The plant sure is pretty with the seed heads on it. 

Katie
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2007 at 7:37pm
The BBC and other Magazines and Media give very poor advice on clematis. I have tried to advise on some of the inaccurate comments in the past but they do not seem interested in getting better results.

Perhaps the BCS in cooperation with the ICIS should think about promoting a BBC program or series about Clematis? It would be a great series, covering the 3 main types and the 3 seasons! We just need to get someone in a position of influence to go for it... Another dream I suppose?

Jack
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 9:41am
I agree with Jack, clematis are very poorly represented with regard to knowledge from the Media, and some form of advice listing that the BBC and others could use to get qualified advice from both experts and enthusiasts would be great to promote. And here it is we are using it now! A web forum they can post questions on and get all the answers not just from traders but those with experience of growing them in all parts of the country.
There are also two other clematis worth mentioning that are delightful in the winter and they are urophylla 'Winter Beauty' and kwichowensis although they do need very free-draining soil and a sunny aspect.
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
Peter Gooch View Drop Down

Quote Peter Gooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 9:43am
sorry spelling correction kwEichowensis!
Peter Gooch
Thorncroft Clematis Nursery
Sue Reade View Drop Down

Quote Sue Reade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2007 at 8:12pm
I put a message on the radio 4 message board which has been commented on by 4 people one of whom gave the web address of the society which I omitted. I wonder if the programme makers read these things as well?
Sue Reade
 Post Reply Post Reply