Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Hybridising for amateurs - for Alison Urwick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hybridising for amateurs - for Alison Urwick
    Posted: 15 Feb 2007 at 1:07pm
Hi Alison,
Here is a link which should answer some of your questions about hybridising   -  http://www.bcollingwood.com/CFS/hybrid.htm
for we amateurs (only my own experiences/method of course, no doubt other people will do things differently!) There are photographs and explanatory commentary but should you require any further specific details just let me know and I (and probably others) would be more than happy to assist in any way possible.

You'll notice that in the text it says somewhere "seed formation photos to follow", (which I never got around to adding), but, since I have them sat on the computer, I'll update the site with them in the coming few days.

And, PS, Welcome to the Forum!

Large-flowered hybrid x C. texensis
 x    gave:
G65D       x       G55A                                                          C. "Reverie"
Click on the small images to enlarge.

Edited by bcollingwood - 17 Mar 2007 at 8:50pm
B. R. Collingwood
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 4:56pm
Hello Brian.
In the first instance I would apologies for using your name in vain ,  on the subject of new clematis  I put your name on my posting instead of Collin's . So sorry .
I visited your web site on hybridizing , I am amazed at your dedication in keeping records of all the crosses an seedlings you have .  I have breed a lot of plants over the years , Clematis, Lillie's , Hellebores (Orientals type )  tree Hibiscus and many others . I just grow them for my own pleasure .  The thought of keeping all the records would have put me off be for I started , however it has almost kept me out of mischief and provided me with a lot of pleasure .  In the clematis I have attempted to breed them low in hight . to cut out a lot of tying in and pruning . Around four to five foot is the best to date , and another around six seven feet . But if you get them too short they are difficult to get any cuttings from . I have also gone for shape of flower , and am pleased with the results.  I have also killed of by neglect some beauties , But with with my problems thats life  . Lillie's I have breed out the pollen on the stamens . and the hellebores soft colour's with vein markings .   As I said not a lot if any records but loads of pleasure , and some beautifully flowers.   Thanks for the article you have put a lot of work into it , I found it most enjoyable .
All the Best  and again sorry  
Ron.C
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2007 at 11:59pm
Hi Ron, no need to apologise to me at all and thank you for your nice comments about my site, but you have had lots of success and it would be great to see some pictures if that were possible. I'd put them on my site if you wished. You have lots of knowledge and practical experience and I'm sure it would be very interesting and educational/helpful for many people to read about your plants if, for example, you wrote an article on it, about the clematis aspect especially !!

Edited by bcollingwood - 19 Jun 2007 at 12:19am
B. R. Collingwood
 Post Reply Post Reply