Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis pamiralaica

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis pamiralaica
    Posted: 29 Oct 2009 at 3:18pm
Hello All,

Does anyone out there have any slides or digital images of Clematis pamiralaica that I could use for a talk I am giving in April 2011.

Sorry for the short notice!

Best Wishes

Roy Nunn
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2009 at 11:07am

Good morning Roy,

What a simple and short question you have, which demand, I suppose, a simple and short answer.

The name Clematis pamiralaica was published by C. Grey-Wilson in : Clematis orientalis (Ranunculaceae) and its allies (1988) Kew Bulletin 44, page 54. Grey-Wilson clearly discribes the difference between Clematis tangutica and Clematis pamiralaica on page 54 in Latin and on page 55 in English.

Clematis pamiralaica

Clematis tangutica

dwarf plant

climber to 4 m

dying to ground level

short shoots

solitary terminal flower

axillary flowers

tepals with fine silky hairs on both sides

tepals hairy outside but quite glabrous inside

The publication of a new species should always be accompanied with a Latin description and reference to a type specimen which should be a herbarium specimen. The type specimen (holotype) is held at Kew, a duplicate (isotype) is held at the British Museum.

Considering the species Clematis tangutica and the reference by the author to the pubescence either inside or outside the tepals, the status of the species Clematis tangutica is already quastionable in his article. The reason is that the key by Grey-Wilson starts with tepals glabrous inside or glabrous outside and both characteristic are accepted by him for Clematis tangutica. This means that only the habitus of Clematis pamiralaica remains. Grey-Wilson write about the habitus on page 55: "probably as an isolated high altitude ecotype."

Dwarf habitus is in general not a characteristic accepted to acknowledge a species in Clematis and is usually a variable charateristic within a species. Examples are Clematis montana and several Clematis species that grow in Africa and Madagascar.

The way the plants flower, either terminal or axillary, is not a reliable characteristic especially not for the species classificified in Section Meclatis.  You may easily found a growing shoot that flowers with axillary short stems with a terminal flower while the shoot still lack the terminal flower.

I guess for the above reason Willem Brandenburg accept Clematis pamiralaica as a synonym of Clematis tibetana subsp. tangutica. Brandenburg published this in his thesis: Meclatis in Clematis: Yellow flowering Clematis species (2000) page 169, as a heterotypic synonym.

Some time ago Ton directed me to the publication by Wen-Tsai Wang : A revision of Clematis sect. Meclatis in Acta Phytotaxonomica Sinica, Vol. 44, but this document does not open well for me, see http://www.plantsystematics.com/qikan/manage/wenzhang/f05-0049.pdf. But a page with a drawing does show Clematis pamiralaica accepted by the author as Clematis tibetana var. pamiralaica.

So, my simple and short answer to your question is that for a photograph of Clematis pamiralaica you best make an appointment with Kew and make a picture of the herbarium specimen or download it from the Kew Herbarium website http://apps.kew.org/herbcat/getImage.do?imageBarcode=K000075569

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S
 Post Reply Post Reply