Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis CC6247

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis CC6247
    Posted: 06 Nov 2009 at 5:41pm
In my seedling CC6247 are buds and fast open flowers.

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 2:55pm

Here is a picture of the leaves and a more open flower.

Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 8:36am
Ton
The flowers look attractive, much different to the flowers of Confusa. The 4 sepals (tepals?) hang apart divided near the top - Confusa flowers recurve slightly at the tips. Also this plant has a lot of purple in the stems and seems to have it in the sepals (although this may be emphasised by the camera and the light). It would be interesting to see the stamens and how far they hang down. Are they yellow?
I have some CC6247 and they have the purple colouring in stem and leaf but mine have not produced any flower buds this year.
Aidan 

Edited by Aidan3 - 11 Nov 2009 at 8:37am
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:48am
Hi

I have 10 seedlings of 6247, they are still small so would not expect them to flower until next year. Something to look forward to.

Cheers

Roy

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 5:54pm
Here I have a picture of the inside of the flower.
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:10pm
Ton,
This tepal colour is absolutely exquisite.
Wim
Wim S
Ron.G.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:18pm
Hello Ton
I must lead a sheltered life , I have not yet come across the CC 6247 range of seeds , I would appreciate information of where I can purchase same or if you or any one has any for surplus seeds I would be pleased to purchase them , I havea fascination in germinating new varieties . And the colour interests me also .
Best  Regards
Ron.C

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 6:07pm
Ron,

I have sent a mail to you. I have several plants and 2 with flowers.

Ton
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:09am
Hi Ton,

I am interested in the leaf arrangement on your plants, my young plants only have ternate leaves all alternate on the leaf stalks.

I would expect this to change next year, it would apear that the leaf formation on your plant is more like C. connata pseudo-connata, can you confirm? Have you sent pictures to Chris Chadwell? It may be worthwhile sending pictures to Chris Grey Wilson, Roy Lancaster and Brian Mathew. I have been in touch with Chris earlier about locations of plants, unfortunately he did not collect this one, so only knows that it was from Nepal.

If you like I could send pictures to these people who may be able to help with identification.

Have you tried the plants outside yet? My plants were outsude during the summer but have been brought into the cold greenhouse for the winter.

Ron,

I have spare plants if you would like one, but no spare seed.
I get my seed from a Clematis seed share from Chris Chadwell.

Best wishes

Roy Nunn
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 7:38pm
Hi Roy.
Thanks for your offer , but I have already had a kind  offer of a plant  from Ton .
I would how ever like to have contact details of Chris Chadwell and the seed share .
Thanks again
Best Wishes
Ron.C 
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 8:25pm
For those interested; Chris Chadwell, offers a Clematis seed share, for which I get a number of seed packets in a year, this will vary according to the number of collections in that year. The amount paid lasts for about two or three years and is based on the number of packets supplied. This helps fund his expeditions. In the few years that I have been subscribing I have had seed from Tibet, Northern India and Nepal. The seed just comes with a collection number and a brief description of the altitude and the area of collection, but some seed is collected by Til Jung, this seed may not be clearly defined as to where it was collected. Most of the seed is viable and the plants from it are identifiable, but there are some plants that after a few years of growing them I am still not sure what they are. If interested it is best to write to Chris Chadwell, at 81 Parlaunt Road, Slough, Berks, SL3 8BE.
Best wishes

Roy Nunn
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 9:24pm
Like Roy I also bought a clematis share from Chris Chadwell last year for about £30. I received a number of packets of seeds collected in Nepal, I think maybe 10 or so, so far. I had success with germination rates from about about 5 of the packets, but it is always hit and miss with wild collected seed, there are so many factors which may determine germination. I am very pleased with what I got and think £30 is a real bargain for what you get - some really interesting and unusual plants. Also think how much would it cost to go to Nepal to collect them yourself (let alone be able to find the plants). For those who don't know, the "CC" in the collection number stands for Chris Chadwell 

Aidan
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 7:38pm
Thanks Roy and Aidan ,for the information , I will contact Chris and see from there.
On hind sight , I should  have collected seeds when I was in the area
I would have had some interesting plants by now . In those days I would not have even thought of growing Clematis , I was still in my late teens or early twenties , those where the days  ??? Any way thanks again.
Best Regards
Ron.C
Aidan
I lived in Leeds until 68 , I could just about grow any thing in the soil there
the best thing I found for improving the soil texture was Shoddy (sheep wool combings), you should be able to get it from the people who grow Rhubarb
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.G.Carlile - 22 Nov 2009 at 6:55pm

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2009 at 11:12am
Ron,

I have sent the plant to you.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:12pm
Hi Ton
received the plant thank you so much , I have mailed you , have you received it. Excellent plant thanks again .
Ron.C.

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 7:51pm
Ron,

I have not had the mail.

Ton
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.G.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 8:02pm
Hi Ton
Sent email this time hope you receive it

Ron.C
Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 7:45pm
Hi Roy and Aidan.
Thanks for the information on Chris Chadwell . He was kind enough to sort out
some seeds for me , I think I was the end of the Que , and a bit late in applying for
a share , but am most pleased with the results . They were numbered  CC6677 which seven have germinated , CC6678 had six germinated , and CC6679 only one has survived ,  they all look strong plants but I am not tempting fate
Both thanks again
Ron.C 
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 3:29pm
Hi Ton and Aidan
My plant of CC6247 is now showing bud clusters which are going to open when it is going to be rather cold , I know you both grow your plants in different areas,
so could you advise me of the time of year your CC6247 flowered . The bud clusters have quiet a number of immature buds coming from the leaf/stem joint
I do not know if it would be preferable to nip out some of the buds . I know some of my plants flower late but I am use to them , but have no experience of this
type of clematis . now looking forward to the flowers , it is much too big to get in  to the green house
CC6679 is showing similar stem/leaf joints as the above , I will have to ask if the seeds are from the same plant .  
Ron.C
Ron.C

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2010 at 7:38pm
Now I have my plant outside but I place the plant in the greenhouse. I also see buds.
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 11:02pm
Hi Roy

My CC6192 was planted outside and flowered from 25.11.09 producing a solitary flower which lasted several weeks. It did not survive the winter, nor did my C. aff Confusa from Crug Farm (though I have a cutting from it).

However, I have a CC6163 planted outside which did survive the winter and has some flower buds developing. I also have some CC6247s in containers as well as the C.aff confusa cutting which is now a huge plant. They all have lots of flower buds developing.

In my humble opinion the CC6247, CC6192 and CC6163 all appear to be very similar and could be sub species of C Confusa rather than products of natural variation. 

The CC6163 that did survive the winter is planted in a higher south facing aspect of the garden in quite free draining soil so that is a clue for maximising survival chances.

Strangely I did lose several mature CC6247s from a virus that killed them off and I have noticed they are all prone to unexplained die back in some of the stems.

If your plant has developed a strong root system it might survive outside particularly if you live in the south, but I would put a good mulch on it and wrap the container and plant in horticultural fleece. I am going to keep one of mine in the green house but the others are going to take their chances in large containers outside (but I will wrap them in fleece).

Basically the weather in the Khumbu/Makalu region of Nepal where these plants originate has hot wet summers and cold dry winters so you need to duplicate the cold dry winter if you can.

Aidan       
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 4:37pm
Hi Aidan
Thank you the notes on your experience with the CC6247 , Mine is at the moment in a large container and has put In a lot of growth this year , and is  showing a large number of buds , which I hope will open before the frost get to it , in the Midlands I get a lot more frost damage than I did when I lived in Leeds.
The CC6247 is the first of this type of clematis I have had , I got the plant from
Ton who was kind enough to let me have one of his . I have since had seeds from Chris  Chadwell , these are CC6677, CC6678 , which I have a number of plants , and CC6679 which only one has survived , the growth of which is a bit like CC6247  in that it has flat leaf to stem joints , only time will tell .
Ton as you have seen tells me he put his in the greenhouse in winter , the size of my plant is not going to do my back any good .
I was in India and Burma during and after the war , I am sure I saw a number
of clematis , two I think grew just outside HQ offices , but at that age I just thought clematis was just another flower , if only I had collected the seeds .
(Hind sight )
Well thanks again for your information and experience with  this range of clematis , and hope you have no losses this winter .  
Ron.C
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 5:17pm
Hello Ton and Aidan
The plant Ton was kind enough to let me have has flowered at last
six lots of cluster of bud appeared  weeks ago but only one flower has opened
on each cluster . The flower is as you can see a rusty brown with yellowing  on the edge of the sepals and near the stem , it is 2Cm long
 by 1.5 cm across, I managed to break of the cluster
so the photo below the flower is on an piece of plastic ,which show-es how dense the inside is packed . The plant is now in a lean to greenhouse , which is cold but out of the rain and snow

The plant was stooped at 3 MITREs but it still grew side shoots 1.5 to 2 Mtrs long
the flower cluster came out from the leaf joints , it had to be laid at 45%
to get it in the lean to greenhouse.

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 30 Nov 2010 at 10:51am
Ron.C

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2010 at 9:10pm
Still an interesting Clematis without a name!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 12:09pm
Ton
I was under the impression that you had to have at least three mature plants
before you can name them , maybe I am mistaken , I think I will wait until next
year and take cuttings  , if they take we could then agree on a name as you germinated the seeds . Below is a photo of the bud cluster wich I broke of from the leaf joint
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 02 Dec 2010 at 12:16pm
Ron.C

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 6:52pm
Ron, I did not collect the seeds!
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 9:42am

Good morning Ton,

All herbarium specimens I collected this year are already in Leiden but the last ones I collected at the end of October, including Clematis brachiata see previous postings, are still with me. This includes your Clematis connata CC6247 of which I made 7 herbarium specimens from one cut branch. I just took a few pictures this morning and I will post a few.

Of course I hope the plant survive this hard winter, the plant is outside in the clematis collection, but this herbarium will last till eternity any way.

Best wishes,

Wim

Wim S
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 4:54pm
Hi Ton
I was a bit hasty regarding Clematis CC6427 , I would ask you is there any chance , this plant will regenerate from the base , last week it had some strong
green shoots , yesterday it had flopped , I have cut it back to live stems and built
up the compost around the base stems , it is still cold and damp here . Having
no previous experience of the plant CC 6427 , I would be glad of any help .
all my other plants seem to have some frost damage but are alive .
Ron.C 
Ron.C
ton_hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton_hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 6:36pm
Ron,
This plant dies sometimes suddenly is my experience.
ton_hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton_hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 5:16pm
Today I have seen that I have still a plant but I could not see if the plant is alive.
If the plant is alive then you can get it.

Ton
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 11:11am
Thanks Ton , I had a look at my Plant and there is still some green in the lower stems , I hope it will produce new shoots later in the year .  I have a number of
CC 6677 and CC6678 growing , I hope they are more resistant to the cold .

Ron.C

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 10 Mar 2011 at 11:12am
Ron.C
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:57pm
Hi Ron

My experience was the same as Ton's with these Connata type clematis. Most of mine died suddenly without any apparent reason. I have 3 plants that are definitely still alive, 2 are in my greenhouse and are very healthy, one is under a car port. The one under the car port seemed to die last year but has produced a healthy green shoot from the base.

I have one planted in the garden that survived the winter of 2009 but I am waiting to see whether it survived last winter. My experience with it last year is that it is still a bit early for it to show signs of life, but I will keep you updated on its progress or lack of it!

I think this group of plants is very sensitive to a number of factors - mainly being soil conditions and wet roots. I say this because I lost quite a few last year around September before the cold weather started but there was still a fair bit of rain.

I suspect, but can't say for sure that in the Khumbu/Makalu region of Nepal where they definitely come from, they grow in very free draining conditions where they have hot wet summers but cold dry winters, so in the summer their roots are never too wet. That's my theory anyway. I will ask Chris for some more information on the general soil conditions.

I have written an article for the International Clematis Society Journal on some of these clematis, accopanied by some quite good photos I took late last November. From the healthy plants in my greenhouse I also pollinated the flowers which produced some seeds that I have and which I will attempt to germinate. 

Aidan 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 7:40pm

Hi Aidan

Thanks for the mail , I can not see any growth from the base yet , but there is still some green in the base stems .  I have come to the conclusion that I do not have the conditions for growing these fussy plants . I did not manage to get any pollen from the few flowers I had , also it was to late in the year to try direct cross pollination with any of my plants .  I have a number of seed grown from last years batch CC 6677 and CC6678 , CC6679 only one which looks weedy
. If you have any spare seed to sell let me know I would love to try germinating
a new cross . I have seeds from this years CC numbers , but non have germinated to date . Thanks for you experience with this range of plants

Ron.C
Ron.C
 Post Reply Post Reply