FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Chadwell seedling aff connata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chadwell seedling aff connata
    Posted: 07 Nov 2009 at 4:45pm
I have a seedling grown from Chris Chadwell supplied seed (collected in Nepal) that germinated in  November 2008 and was planted in my garden in July. It has started to produce tiny flower buds that are too small and too late to develop, but what is most amazing about it is the size of the disc nodes, they are massive. I have other C.Connata plants in my garden from Crug Farm but they have not had disc nodes this size. I attach a photo so you see this.

Aidan

Edited by Aidan3 - 06 Dec 2009 at 1:48am
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 3:39pm
Hi Aidan

Do you know the collection number for this plant?

Cheers

Roy
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 10:33pm
Hi Roy

I am fairly sure it is CC6192, because I only had one seed germinate from that batch and this plant is not like any of the other seedlings I have which are CC6160 (about 4 still alive), CC6247 (about 5 alive) , and CC6163 (one germinated and is still alive and waiting for flower to open).  Apart from CC6160 they all have disc nodes.
Do you think the size of the disc nodes on CC6192 are unusual and do you think it is a connata?
Do you have any CC6160 as I am interested in what they could be (perhaps Barbellata?)

Aidan   
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 5:12pm
Hi Aidan,
I have CC6247 which both I and Ton have flowered.
CC6192  and 6160 needs to be checked for germination, I will check tomorrow.
Could you do something for me, take off one set of leaves, lay it out on a piece of white board tape it down with small pieces of selotape if necessary and photograph it. I would like to see if the leaf cofiguration is similar to CC6247, which I believe to be C. connata var pseudoconnata.

Cheers

Roy
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 8:42pm
Dear Aidan,

Thanks for sharing your pictures with the disk-like petiole base of Clematis connata.

At the nursery we also have one plant which is in full soil in the Clematis collection. This plant came originally from Jan Fopma and was moved to the present site in 1996 when Jan retired. As you see, the plant is still there, I took the pictures this afternoon. 
I prune the plant in late winter to about 5-20 cm above soil level, depending on the length of the internodes and the buds. Some of the annual stems are now about 5 meter long. As you can see at the picture, the plant is making seed and I am usually able to collect some for the BCS seedlist. When we have an early frost most of the seed will be lost but so far the plant is doing its best to provide the best crop ever.

Typical for a Section Campanella species is that you may found a shoot with alternate leaves and indeed the plant had several actually.

The disk-like petiole base is much smaller compared with your plant as you can see in the pictures. Both sizes are not extreme for Clematis connata, they fall within the normal variation of the species.

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

Wim S
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 12:11pm
Hi,
I have 3 small plants of 6192, they are in the Conatae group, both 6192 and 6247 have alternate leaf arrangements especially on new growth.

Sorry it was CC 5478 that Ton and I flowered, which seems to have similar flowers to CC6247, but I am not sure about the leaf arrangement.

CC6160 has not germinated for me, its tray is still under the greenhouse bench, so it may happen next spring?

Do you think that the smaller noded Connatae are more hardy? I hve a small noded plant of C. connata growing in the garden for 15 years, but large noded individuals have not survived our winters. At least I have enough plants being grown on to trial their hardiness.

Incidentally I noticed that my C alternata, has a few oposite nodes, no more than four or five on a very large plant. I first noticed it as one stem had three oposite nodes together in the middle of  a stem, with the remaining eight nodes being alternate.

Best wishes

Roy Nunn

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2009 at 6:19pm

Hi Roy,

That is a very interesting point you are making: Is the size of the disk related to the winter hardiness? I really have no idea.
I guess you can easily alter your point into: Is the size of the disk related to the altitude of its distribution? Again, I have no idea.
It could be that plants growing at higher altitudes having smaller disk. In general plants from the Himalaya area growing at higher altitudes are more hardy in Western Europe of course.
Perhaps you can find out via the plant collection number where and on what latitude the seed was collected. I am already very curious.  

I was wrong about growing one plant at the nursery. I forgot that Ton gave me a Clematis connata with a number aswell this summer. But I need to check tomorrow which number this is.

Best wishes,

Wim

Wim S
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:19am
Hi Wim,

I have some spare plants of these connatae. I have been in touch with Chis Chadwell about locations, but these were collected for him so he is unsure of there location other than Nepal. I will ask Chris about his observations as to cone size and altitude, to see if he has any observations on my thoughts.

Chris Chadwell is due to talk at the next BCS AGM, we should not avoid this meeting if at all possible.

Best wishes

Roy Nunn

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 4:06pm
Hi Roy,

Thanks for the offer of a plant but I have checked the plant I had from Ton where I wrote about and this plant also has the number 6192. So thanks for the offer. This plant thas the same disks shown by Aidan in his pictures. It started to show tiny flower buds but they did not develope further.

The disk size and winter hardiness in relation to the original collection site might be a good subject for a student at Wisley?

Yes, fantastic speaker at the BCS AGM, sure I will attend.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S
 Post Reply Post Reply