FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis Parviloba var. bartlettii

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis Parviloba var. bartlettii
    Posted: 02 Dec 2009 at 9:16pm
I was in my garden this morning looking at buds on my C. Parviloba var. bartlettii wondering when they were going to flower, when I noticed high up in the Hawthorn tree that the flowers had already opened or were starting to open! So I fetched a ladder and took these photos. It was at 8.45am and the visibility was not good. I hope to be able to take some more pictures this weekend. The flowers are very small (I will measure them later). 

Photos of flowers of this clematis are very rare. The only one I have seen is on Crug Farm website. I bought this plant from Crug Farm and planted it in 2008. This year is the first time it has flowered. It was collected by Sue and Bleddyn in Taiwan. So far it has proved quite hardy, although I do put a horticultural fleece around the main stems in winter. It also does not lose all its leaves, although some do die off.

I should also mention that 2 nights ago we had the first frost of winter and the temperature was down to -1 degree centegrade, but this does not seem to have damaged the flowers.

Aidan

Edited by Aidan3 - 03 Dec 2009 at 7:56am
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 5:38pm
Hi Aidan,

The flower look similar to C. parviloba var bartletii, but the foliage looks wrong, in the Crug plant the foilage is finely cut and leathery. I can send you a picture of the plant that Mike Brown sent me with an inset of the Crug plant which were taken by the same person.

Cheers

Roy
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:58pm
I took some more photos today as more flowers have opened.

Roy - thanks for sending me the photos. You are right that the foliage on your plant is different to mine. I have posted a photo showing typical leaf of mine (is it possible to post your photo?). Your Crug Farm plant flowers have longer stamens and look more graceful. The sepals and stamens on my flowers look more compact. 

My plant was bought from Crug Farm as parviloba var bartlettii which was grown from seed collected in a mountainous region of northern Taiwan. Do you think the differences are down to acceptable variation of the species in the wild?    
Aidan

Edited by Aidan3 - 06 Dec 2009 at 5:36pm
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 1:30pm
Hi Aidan,
The picture sent to you is not my image to post, it was sent to me by Mike Brown who I believe obtained it from a friend. After some research I found that the picture sent to me was the exact same one as apears on the Crug website as BSWJ6788, strange to say the least. After looking in an old edition of the Flora of Formosa I found reference to a C. bartletii that seemed to match this plant. In later editions Flora of Taiwan the name had changed to Clematis parviloba barletii. I would expect a batch of seed collected from one plant and having a single collection number to be similar and wonder if your plant might be from a different collection. I will ask Mike if we can post the image on the web. Do you know if your plant has the above collection number?

Cheers

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply