Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

My First Post,INFO on Roots Please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
capone View Drop Down

Quote capone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My First Post,INFO on Roots Please
    Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 5:40pm
Hi All

This is my first post so take it easy with me.

We have a 6ft Block wall between us and the neighbours and its horrible.

The wife wanted me to plant Conifers along the wall but i said no as the roots would cause problems with the footing in years to come.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL

If i plant Clematis allong the wall will the roots from them cause me problems aswell.

Any other info would be great aswell

Thanks
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2010 at 9:55pm
Hi Capone,

You shouldn't have too much trouble with clematis.

A few words of warning if planting near a wall is to take into consideration the aspect as walls tend to heat the soil near its base and therefore suck out the moisture. Plant any clematis at least 30cm or more away from the wall and train it with the cane towards a suitable climbing point where it can grab on.
Don't forget clematis cannot cling to any surface by its own means, they need to grab onto something to haul themselves upwards.
It is quite likely the soil around the base of the wall will have been sucked clean of nutrients over the years and it would be adviseable to improve the soil somewhat.
If the wall is relatively new (1-2yrs) then the soil near the base is likely to be saturated with lime from the cement in the foundations and will need to be either completely replaced or diluted/neutralised via an acidic compound. It might be worth testing the soil Ph beforehand if this is the case.
Ensure the soil during summer is kept moist but not too wet to allow the plant roots to dig down and find their own moisture supply.
If the wall is south or west facing you might also want to consider placing something to shade the roots. 

Regards

Steve
capone View Drop Down

Quote capone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2010 at 8:19am
thanks for the reply

How far apart should i plant them
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 3:39pm
I agree to some extent with Steves comments, but I think the most important consideration is to by all mens dig over the soil, adding organic matter before planting your clematis. Then mulching annually in the spring. A good idea also is to combine climbing roses with clematis. Find out about the pruning group three plants as they are ideal for combining with roses, also they are the easiest to cope with as they mostly look after themselves once established. These clematis can all be pruned down to a foot above ground level at the end of February each year and will flower from mid June onwards. My recomendation for the beginner would be Rosa Compassion, Dublin Bay, Climbing Iceberg and New Dawn. Clematis to grow with these would be viticella species, Etoile Violette, Blue Angel, Kaiu, Semu and  Mme Julia Correvon. Roses plant about 6 feet apart, with a clematis in between these, but the clematis could be planted as close as 2 to 3 feet apart.

If you live in an area below the line of the Wash and the wall is south facing and the soil is very well drained you should be able to grow Clematis cirrhosa, such as "Freckles" This is evergreen and winter flowering and once established is very fast growing, so prune after flowering each year after it has reached the top of the wall and just prune back to the previous seasons growth. Dont grow this plant with normal climbing roses though but a combination that works is to grow Freckles with Rosa bankia lutea. This rose and clematis could be planted together but allow 6 to 8 feet of growing space as both are quite vigorous.

Best of luck

Roy Nunn
 Post Reply Post Reply