Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis accuminata var. sikkemensis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis accuminata var. sikkemensis
    Posted: 27 Jan 2010 at 2:02pm
A week ago I had the first flowers in Clematis accuminata var. sikkemensis. I had got a cutting of this species from Aidan. The plant has grown very well.
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 8:06am
Ton,

I have the same plant from Aidan but still not in flower. I took the picture yesterday. Flower buds are visible but not open yet. The plant is in a 20 liter pot with 1,8m high bamboo canes. I deliberately had the stems up to the top of the bamboo cane and then hanging down to force flowers from the plant. It seems to work as the few buds the plant has made are on the hanging down stems.

Best wishes,
Wim

Wim S

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2010 at 9:09am
Wim, what a size! Do you feed the plant very well.

Ton
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 9:25am
Wim

I would be very interested in your observations of this clematis. In your book on clematis cultivar group classification it is not mentioned. Do you think it has characteristics that in your method of classification would include it in the Campanella group?

My observations of growing this clematis outside in the soil in Leeds indicate that although it has survived over winter and keeps a lot of its leaves, it is too cold here (teperatures down to -6 centigrade) for it to produce flower buds unlike say "winter beauty" or "snowbells". Of course it may well produce flower buds in milder parts of the country but probably it is the temperature over winter that determines whether it will flower or not. Maybe it needs 5 centigrade to produce flowers. What is the temperature in your greenhouse?

Your and Ton's plants do not seem very floriferous so far. But the plant does have nice leaves and maybe would be useful in hybridisation?

Aidan     

Edited by Aidan3 - 06 Feb 2010 at 12:51pm

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2010 at 1:12pm
Aidan I have made a crossing with leschenaultiana.
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2010 at 7:34am
Good morning Aidan,

Your plant Clematis acuminata var. sikkemensis is now in flower, see the pictures I took last Monday. The flowers opens very nicely with curled tips of the tepals. I also noticed some very nice fragrance, not sweet as vanilla and not sharp like an aftershave, somewhere in between. I could only notice the fragrance with my nose hitting the 2 flowers. I was not able to notice the fragrance at a distance of, let say, 10 cm.

It is not necessary to classify the plant but if you want to indeed the Campanella Group is the correct Group.

The 2 branches with the flowers as can be seen on the picture will be cut off to safe for eternity (herbarium).

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

Wim S
 Post Reply Post Reply