Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

BCS Journal 2010

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BCS Journal 2010
    Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 10:55am

Dear Journal Contributors,

British Clematis Society Journal, 2010

I am just mentioning the Journal a little earlier this year as I am hoping to spread the task over a slightly longer time frame in 2010.

Of course, articles on any clematis-related topic are welcome: it doesn’t matter whether you are old or new to clematis – BCS members will be interested to hear your thoughts, and to read about your experiences. You don’t have to write a book – a couple of pages, with a few pictures, can make a very good article. Anything longer is of course very welcome too. We are particularly pleased to receive impressions about newer cultivars which you may happen to be growing. Equally we are just as happy to hear about cultivars introduced long ago.

Members are always fascinated to compare experiences with specific plants; and how they fare in different parts of the country, or with different pruning etc. Or in different countries… always absorbing to read.

Have you grown any species clematis? Or raised plants from seed? We would be delighted to report your words in the Journal. How did you first become involved with clematis? Why? What influence have clematis had on your life?

We are also interested in technical and botanical developments in Clematis. Details about native species, and natural habitats; the distributions of species, and the range of flower forms encountered in the wild; endemics; rare forms; plants no longer in cultivation and so on. Have you recently studied any particular aspects of clematis? We would very much enjoy receiving a summary!

I will usually edit articles for spelling etc but will also correct latin names so please do not worry if such things are not your absolute forte – we also have a team of article proof-readers as this is the most effective way to pick points up.

I will set your photos into the text to try to get the best layout possible. Photos can bring the written word to real life and can make a good article excellent. I will usually process photos to the best quality that I can so even if they are not quite perfect it is possible they may be rendered suitable. I can sometimes fill in gaps using my own photo library and sometimes by using other peoples’ loaned images.

So, if possible, I would be very pleased to hear from anyone who is able to think/is thinking about this in the coming weeks and months. I would of course be very happy to receive any early pieces or indications of what might be possible – and very grateful: this would be most appreciated.

I will write in the fullness of time to enquire about the opportunity of a contribution this year, in the meantime may I thank you once again for your valued help in the past and pass on my wishes that this year is a very good one for you.

Kindest regards,

Brian Collingwood

Journal Editor.

B. R. Collingwood
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 7:21pm
Hi Brian

I would be interested in contributing an article on clematis grown from wild seed collected in Nepal and China, with photos (of the resulting plants). Also perhaps a short article on unusual/interesting clematis. I will email you with my thoughts.

Regards

Aidan  

Edited by Aidan3 - 06 Mar 2010 at 7:24pm
bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 12:05am
Thanks Aidan, very welcome - I will look forward to them, thank you very much. They will be of interest/value to a large number of members, and to more people, in the future - I'll await your email thanks a lot. Much obliged. bc
B. R. Collingwood
 Post Reply Post Reply