Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Docteur Le Bele or Jenny Caddick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Queen_of_Vines View Drop Down

Quote Queen_of_Vines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Docteur Le Bele or Jenny Caddick?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by richardh

like all the viticella group, it is a fantastic garden plant
James, I am sure that you are right. Interesting too. I received my Docteur Le Bele today, along with a new supplement to the supplier's catalog. And guess what? 'Jenny Caddick' is listed. So I rang the supplier to ask what the differences were. Very little, was the answer, except that 'Jenny Caddick' has an extra tepal. LOL I can live with that.Smile
richardh View Drop Down

Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2007 at 7:51am
If as stated in the International Clematis register that Jenny Caddick was raised from a seedling given to Caddicks Clematis Nursery by a customer then they cannot be the same, BUT I know that if you search out one of each now they are the same.       Whatever, I am sure that you will find that like all the viticella group, it is a fantastic garden plant,we grow one through a Goldheart ivy which looks good  in  late summer.

Edited by richardh - 27 Feb 2007 at 11:14pm

Quote Queen_of_Vines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 6:51pm
I think I have probably answered my own question. Looking at COTW photos, they are one and the same plant.  It appears that this is just a discovery issue more than anything else, so I am quite happy. This one is arriving tomorrow, along with 7 others, so I have a busy day ahead.  Happy gardening to you all.Smile

Quote Queen_of_Vines Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2007 at 9:37am
I have just ordered 'Docteur Le Bele' as part of a special offer, on the basis that there is a strong possibility it could be the same plant as 'Jenny Caddick'. I got this impression from reading the info on COTW, which states that some clematis growers in the UK believe that 'Jenny Caddick' is the same cultivar as 'Docteur Le Bele', only 'rediscovered'. After reading the description of 'Jenny Caddick' in the book 'Trouble Free Clematis', I have been drawn to the idea of growing this plant in my garden. Any opinions here? 

Jane
 Post Reply Post Reply