FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Colophina clematis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Colophina clematis
    Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 9:21am

Colophina clematis

is a woolly aphid, a Japanese woolly aphids, found there on Cl. apiifolia 

Now I wonder if there are anyone with experience on this pest, I have been sent material (clem. hybrids ) with this pest on.

The only info I could get is from research back in 1977 in Japan.

Is this pest in Europa & UK ?

Edited by schristmas - 14 Apr 2010 at 9:30pm
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 9:34pm
Hello Peer,

I have edited your post to remove the hyper text markup (HTML) that often gets inserted when copying and pasting text - I hope thats OK.

In my own experience I have yet to come across this insect in the garden or when answering peoples pest problems.

Best wishes

Steve
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 5:33pm
Hi Per,

Some info from the RHS; unfortunately not a lot. Did you get my private message about a useful contact?

Dear Mr Nunn,

Thank you for your enquiry to the Royal Horticultural Society's Members’ Advisory Service. 

The aphid you are seeking information on has the latin name of Colophina clematis.  It is occurs in Japan and Korea where it feeds on Clematis apiifolia and C. trichotoma but it is not present in Europe.    As well as feeding on clematis, it also has a tree, Zelkova serrata, as its alternative host plant where it overwinters..  Its feeding activities cause the formation of galls in which the aphids live.  It is one of those aphids that shows a degree of social organisation amongst the colonies that develop within the galls.  Some of the aphids take on the role of soldier aphids that guard the entrance hole to the gall structure and try to keep out predatory insects.

Yours sincerely
Andrew Halstead
Principal Entomologist

Post Reply Post Reply