Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie Help! How to Encourage More Stems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
harrizo View Drop Down

Quote harrizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie Help! How to Encourage More Stems
    Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 9:48am
I planted a Nelly Moser and another large double headed clematis in the garden of my new house that I had previously grown successfully in pots. Unfortunately both of them were ravaged by slugs at the roots. I then dug them up and repotted them, this a couple of years ago now. Neither have ever really recovered. The Nelly Moser has only one straggly stem that produced 3 flowers this year and the other has one straggly stem and no flowers. I am clearly doing something very wrong! Please help.
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2010 at 10:22pm
Clematis in pots need good compost, adequate feed and watering every day in summer. Both your plants obviously need attention now. Firstly cut off both clematis to leave two nodes above compost level. Push a short cane into the compost adjacent to the stem and tie the stem loosely to the cane, in order to protect it from damage. Carefully remove the plant from its container, check that the plant is not root bound and that there are adequate live roots, they should be light brown with white tips. If there is a shortage of roots and they apear to have been eaten, you may have an infestation of Vine Weavils, look for white grubs. It may be necessary to remove soil by washing, old or dead roots can be trimmed back. Replant into a minimum 18 inch diameter pot, using a mixture of half John Innes number three and half Arthur Bowers New Horizon Compost. Water the plant fully and stand in the shade for two weeks at least, until new growth is observed. New growth may need to be tied in, but it is important at this stage to nip out the growing tips after the new stem has grown two nodes. This should encourage the plant to branch out, keep doing this for the rest of the frowing season, by which time the plant should have produced several stems. Remember to keep the compost damp at all times and feed once a month with a balanced liquid feed.
Stop watering and feeding when the plant stops growing in the autumn. Leave all stems intact over winter, to allow these clematis to flower on the previous seasons wood.

I tend to leave clematis in pots for two seasons then carry out the procedure as above.

Note if you find grubs, it will be neccessary to wash all soil from the plant before repotting and then after repotting give a drench of Provado Vine Weevil Killer as manufactures instructions.

Roy W Nunn
harrizo View Drop Down

Quote harrizo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 12:18pm
Thankyou so much. I will do exactly as you say and let you know how it goes.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply