Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis gentianoidese

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis gentianoidese
    Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:45pm
Hi Peer,

Do you grow C. gentianoides, I have plants, but find that I struggle with them. Usually when I get plants they are grown in very rich compost and there is usually a lot of root damage. I have found that they do not survive the winter in a cold greenhouse if left in this compost. I usually wash off all the old compost cut away any black roots, dust with yellow sulphur and pot on into my open alpine mix, which is suitable for my collection of NZ clematis. I find growth seems to be slow when using this mix but the plants survive the winter. Do you think extra feed is required, stopping in August? When to prune? How to get more flowers?

Any info from anyone who grows this plant successfully would be most helpful.

My latest plant was obviously propogated in one of the jiffey bags, I have carefully removed this bag, as invarably I find that if left intact the crown of the plant rots over winter. The use of these bags or the rockwool prop cells may be an advantage to the grower, but for the gardener I find they are a nightmare as invarably they suck up too much moisture at the crown of the plant causing rot at this point.

Best wishes

Roy W Nunn
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 9:07pm
Roy, I had the same experience during winter because after winter was not in a very good condition. I could not find the good conditions but the plant had every year flowers in the greenhouse.
I have given my plant to Mike Brown.

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 11:36am
Hi Roy
I have never grown it, I do not grow any Alpine plants here as those I know do not like our wet winter, but good oranges (ripe in a month or so) I 'm not even sure I have ever seen it (Cl. gentianoides), check this site ,
http://www.anbg.gov.au/gnp/interns-2004/clematis-gentianoides.html
may be helpfull
Cheers Peer

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2010 at 2:27pm
Thanks Peer,

Now I have two plants and the site info, I should try a couple of methods and report.

Thanks

Peer for the Website.

Roy
 Post Reply Post Reply