Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis aethusifolia v. latisecta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Hans J Kuus View Drop Down

Quote Hans J Kuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis aethusifolia v. latisecta
    Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 6:42pm
Could it be Clematis aethusifolia v. latisecta?

Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2010 at 8:05pm
Dear Hans,

Thanks for showing the pictures. The pictures indeed seem to show Clematis aethusifolia. Your label reads that the origin is Sichuan and that is within the enourmous range of destribution of Clematis aethusifolia.

In the cultivated plant world it seem to be possible to identify Clematis aethusifolia var. aethusifolia and Clematis aethusifolia var. latisecta. But in the wild both forms overlap in distribution and today seems also accepted more as ecological variations. That is the reason that in the botanical plant world, opposite the cultivated plant world, the botanical varieties are not accepted anymore. This means that Clematis aethusifolia var. latisecta is a synonym of Clematis aethusifolia.

Your plant does show rather wide leaflets. Your plant seems also to be a young plant and not an adult plant. This means, especially for clematis in the botanical Section Campanella or, when we talk about cultivated plants, clematis belonging to the Campanella Group, that the leaves can vary enourmously, also on one single plant. I have written more about this in the posting about Clematis 'Bells of Emei Shan' in this Forum when I remember correctly.
So, the width of the leaflets is not a stable characteristic to identify a species, subspecies or variety on and this also applies for cultivated species. Other species that are more commonly known belonging to the Campanella Group are, for example; Clematis connata, Clematis rehderiana and Clematis veitchiana .

Below you see a scanned leaf of Clematis aethusifolia.

I hope this information is of help.

Best wishes from Holland,

Wim

Wim S
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2010 at 7:38pm
Hans Jorgen,

Tomorrow I post a picture of the leaves of my plant.
Aidan3 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aidan3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 8:30am
Hans Jorgen

Did you get this plant from Chen Yi?

Aidan

Quote Hans J Kuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2010 at 10:07pm

Quote Hans J Kuus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 5:07pm
The first flower, it have a fine scent.

Post Reply Post Reply