FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Scale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Annod View Drop Down

Quote Annod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scale
    Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 8:50pm
I need help with a scale I am finding on my seedlings. Most were started inside last winter and have now been outside since June.  I am finding a cream colored soft scale on the back of leaves and on the lower portion of the stems. The seedlings are mostly viorna, crispa,  and texensis. Some have flowered some have not. I thought they were just going dormant but on closer inspection scale on the stems.
 I started with neem oil and am now considering malathion, although it is illegal here in Ontario.

Any help will be appreciated greatly.
dm
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 6:56pm
Hi,

Having not had Scale on Viornae, but have experienced these on New Zealand Clematis.

Assuming these are on a few plants, with the NZ clematis I scraped off all the scales that I could see with my thumb nail, then sprayed the plant with a systemic insecticide. Not knowing what chemicals, if any, are available to you, Neem oil or SunOil, may help prevent further infestations. Also look carefully for host plants, as my infestations could be traced to Camelia plants, which are now kept well away from my NZ Clematis.

Your job could be made easier by cutting back these plants to two nodes above soil level and then stripping any remaining scales. If possible burn or bag up in sealed plastic bags any infected material that is removed from plants.

When the plants are dormant spraying with a greenhouse disinfectant, drenching the soil surface, for this I have used Armilatox.

I found that after isolating host plants and treating clematis as above and looking out for infestations on a regular basis, it is now rare that I see scale on hosts or Clematis.

Best of luck

Roy W Nunn
 Post Reply Post Reply