FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Late Seedlings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Late Seedlings
    Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 8:46pm
I am beginning to wonder if there has been two springs this year , as seeds I thought had finished have now new plants germinating , these are all seeds I obtained from the BCS , they were all sown when received and duly planted on .
I now find seeds that must not have germinate in spring have been doing so in the last month. As I now only  have a cold green house I am a bit concerned
as to over wintering them as they will not have put on a lot of growth before
this area I live in has some frost , and it can be cold .  I never throw away seed
sowings usually until they have had a chance  next year , unless I have too many germinate in the first year .
The seed were BCS seeds germinated are named  ' Swedish Bells' .' USA mixture '.C.reticulata . C. armandii . C. versicolor .   For me it has been a good year for seed germination , I have plants from all sowings , it is now a matter of keeping them all growing over winter , and see what they turn out like when they flower , I know from experience that a clematis grow from seed may not be what you expected when it flowers .
As I keep telling friends' it's green side up .'
Ron.C
Ron.C
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 1:13pm
Hello Ron,

Every year I most of my clematis seed germinate in Spring or Autumn, there must be as the temperature goes through a change either up or down an optimum temperature at which the seed are going to germinate, this generally after a period of cold, but equally after the heat of summer. THere are two options for the autumn seeds, my experience that potting on germinated seed is not an option in autumn. I just lift the trays of germinated seed onto the potting bench in the cold greenhouse and let them go dormant naturally, there is a chance that some will get through the winter, but I usually get some losses. I have also tried keeping trays in heated propogator over winter, again there will be some losses but less than if left on the greenhouse bench. Once growth starts again in spring they can then be potted on "green side up".

Cheers

Roy
Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2011 at 2:58pm
Above are the seeds which germinated in early Sept 2010  they are according to the packet USA Mixed , the date now is 13Jan 2011 . to say they have been
in a cold green house under a plastic cover the are a bit lanky but now spring
(I hope) is on the way they should fill out . I will now keep this lot on the kitchen windowsill ,and give them a better chance . it will be some time before I know what the flowers are. looking  forward  to the surprise.
Ron.C

Ron.C
 Post Reply Post Reply