Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis for Winter Interest

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
danny connors View Drop Down

Quote danny connors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis for Winter Interest
    Posted: 07 Oct 2010 at 9:03pm
Hi, I want to grow a clematis in and around an ivy which is climbing on an east facing fence and i'm really keen on those that have those fluffy silver seedheads during winter. I saw one last year and it was stunning but don't know which one it was. 

The only one i know of is a 'tangutica' , but are there others or better ones.

I'm not totally greenfingered so any advice on a reliable type and one that does offer plenty of these seedheads would be much appreciated.

Thank you.  Danny
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 2:31pm
Hi Danny,

Two selections in this group are, C. Bill Mackenzie and Aureolin, having a good show of yellow flowers in summer to autumn followed by attractive seed heads, they should be okay in an east facing position provided they can get a reasonable amount of sun. I would not grow clematis with Ivy, as it tends to be a hiding place for snails and harmful insects, having a short distance to travel to have a meal on the clematis, afterwards retreating back into hiding.

Best of luck

Roy

Quote danny connors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:13pm
Thanks for reply Roy, a really good point about the ivy and thanks for the 2 varieties you mentioned.

Regards  Danny
hannesdp View Drop Down

Quote hannesdp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 11:06pm
Dear Danny,

I have a Cirrhosa Jingle Bells that flowers in Winter. It receives a lot of sun and it is stunning when in flower. It is a vigourous grower and disease free. It goes dormant for a short period in summer, but you will hardly notice it. The seedheads are attractive but not quite so spectacular.  I would also keep the ivy away. Hope you make a great choice!

Quote danny connors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2010 at 8:16pm
Thanks for the reply and help re the cirrhosa, will consider this one also.
 Post Reply Post Reply