Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis brachiata

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis brachiata
    Posted: 27 Oct 2010 at 8:33am
Clematis brachiata is now in full flower with us here in Boskoop, The Netherlands. The plant grows in a cold greenhouse and up to the gutter the greenhouse height is 4 meter. From that the stems grow downwards too.

I was given the plant from a cultivated source, so no origin known. I have pruned the plant hard in March, leaving only bits of stems of about 30 cm above soil level. Now the stems are 6-8 meters long.

The 3 pictures included here were taken yesterday, October 25th, and of course I cut off some bits for herbarium at the same time.

Clematis brachiata is one of those species with a very long list of synonyms like Clematis hirsuta, Clematis thunbergii, etc, etc.

Best regards,

Wim

Wim S
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 9:08am
Wim,

I have had the plant for years but the plant grows to high so that I could not handle the plant no more.
Every year I got flowers.

Ton
hannesdp View Drop Down

Quote hannesdp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 4:20pm
Dear Wim,

Clematis Brachiata also called "Travellers Joy" is indicated as idigenous to South Africa in the Natal and Gauteng Provences in his book "What Flower is That?" by Professor Kristo Pienaar. It is indeed a very large and unruly grower and found in uncultivated areas of land.  There is a trend towards indigenous planting here, but very few people can cope with such a vigourous grower in their garden.

Hannes
South Africa
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 7:20am
Thanks Hannes, for your information. As written I had this plant given from a cultivated source, the distribution in the wild is enourmous. As you write, the plant is enourmous too I perhaps the plant in the greenhouse has to go.
When I was in Rep of South Africa myself I came across with Clematis brachiata in the wild and still have a few plants in pots but these plants are far less vigorous. They have tiny flowers on stems only 1 meter long.
Best wishes,
Wim
Wim S
 Post Reply Post Reply