Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

vit.seedlings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
I A. Clarke View Drop Down

Quote I A. Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vit.seedlings
    Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 10:37am
Hello from iris clarke
After an early morning stroll around the garden,I came across dozens of vit.seedlings coming up all over the border and even in the lawn under a very vigorous variety of another seedling  viticellla which I grew from seed obtained through the B.C.S..I have potted up quite a few,but there are still plenty left.If anyone can be bothered to come and dig them up they are most welcome .The parent plant is a lovely lavenda and white with a huge flower .

I am sorry to relate some losses this year.My beautiful C.Broughton Bride failed to materialise .It had lived in a huge pot for four years and was well looked after,so I don't know what happened to it.I also lost C.Dr Ruppel ,which again had spent all its life in a pot,being repotted occasionally .Now there is no sign of life on C.Juuli,which is not in a pot .Last year I had a problem with C montana Mayleen.Ihad very good advice from some members and ended up cuttint it back to within five feet from the ground.and dosing the ground with fungicide.I'm pleased to say ti has regenerated and is budding up nicely.

Any replies wecome.

Iris clarke

bcollingwood View Drop Down

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 2:59pm
Hi Iris, hope your'e ok. If I were nearer I would come and take some of those seedlings off you for sure - viticella-type seedlings are always interesting and it would be a pity for them not to be grown on  - if you could wash a few down and put in a plastic bag and send, I'd be really grateful!!  or I can quickly send you a return envelope with a suitable bag!  I could swap you some for something of mine later in the season; or swap for seeds if you preferred. I've got some good interesting seeds at present. 
Talking of which, my alba luxurians is incredibly vigorous already this year, it is ten years old and has been moved twice, and is stronger every year!!

Edited by bcollingwood - 13 Apr 2007 at 3:20pm
B. R. Collingwood
keith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2007 at 11:07pm
Hi Iris,
I am told that many of the plants with c. koreana in them do not take happily to pot culture.  Whether that is true or not I do not know, but when I got my own 'Broughton Bride', I was told to plant it out 'soonest', rather than keep it in a pot.  I did that and so far it has been superb, just coming in to flower now.
keith

Quote I A. Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2007 at 10:00am

Hi Brian

Thanks for the early reply.I will dig up some seedlings tomorrow and post them on Mon.I wouldn't mind something of yours in return.That sound's really interesting.
Seeds or plants,whichever you have the most to dispose of.Thank you.
From Iris.
P.s. My Swedish Bells seedlings are finally looking more alive,but still growing slowly.

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2007 at 12:38pm
Hi Iris,
Thank you so much!!

I unpacked the seedlings and have now repotted them - there were 52 tiny seedlings in that pack!!! I was at it until 10.30pm - had to run a light to the greenhouse to get the job finished!

I will post a photo later!

Thanks again Iris!!
B. R. Collingwood
Glenis Dyer View Drop Down

Quote Glenis Dyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2007 at 9:00pm
Hello all

Your very vigorous viticella seedlings sound rather like those that I get from Elvan (a Barry Fretwell plant) that seeds prolifically and is a rampant plant but rather gorgeous flower.  I've noticed that many viticella cultivars don't set a lot of seed (perhaps just one or two seeds on the "head).  Elvan is certainly an exception.

GlenisD
clemcrazy

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 4:21pm
Hello Iris!

I was wrong - there were 51 seedlings in the package not 52 - and here they all are happy and healthy, the job finally completed. Thank you so much! I'll call them "the Iris series"!

But 51 new seedlings.... is a few too many for me, all at once, and although I could stagger their development, with judicial pruning, over a couple of years, I think it might be a good idea if I select some for myself and make some available for other clematis growing enthusiasts...
 Please contact me if you are interested!

Edited by bcollingwood - 29 Apr 2007 at 1:13am
B. R. Collingwood
suzymac View Drop Down

Quote suzymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2007 at 5:36pm
They look so very happy and healthy, Brian!  It will be interesting to see the various flowers.   If I didn't already have more seedlings than I can handle,  I would surely want to have some Viticella seedlings.
Suzy

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 7:03am
Susan (Strasburg) I have sent five to you, Wisconsin is probably about a week or so by post but they should hopefully be ok, if not, let me know and I will try again. BC 
B. R. Collingwood
richardh View Drop Down

Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 9:15pm
Good home offered to any members of viticella family by Lancashire viticella nut.

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 10:09pm
Hi Richard I will happily send if you wouldn't mind sending me your address! Best regards!
B. R. Collingwood
keith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2007 at 10:38pm
Hi Richard,
Grovelling apologies for getting your county absolutely wrong over on GB.
K
keith
joclemy View Drop Down

Quote joclemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2007 at 11:22am
Dear Iris,

Noticed you have lost your C. Broughton Bride. I will attempt to take cuttings from mine  for you

Josie

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2007 at 11:02am
Richard sorry for delay, I will be sending the seedlings to you tomorrow, you should receive Monday or Tuesday-ish; the roots are tip-top now.
B. R. Collingwood

Quote I A. Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2007 at 6:02pm
Hi Josie
Haven't looked up the Forum for a few weeks.Notice your  offer of a c.Broughton Bride cutting.Excellent!! Hope it takes for you,and for me.Went to Chelsea flower show Thursday.Congratulations are in order to Thorncroft Clematis .They won a Gold Medal.A really lovely stand and well worth it.
From Iris Clarke

Quote bcollingwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2007 at 12:41pm
Hi Iris!

Just thought I should bring you up to date about the seedlings you sent to me....four lots have gone to Canada, seven lots to the States, one lot to Denmark, one to Holland, one lot to France, and some to people at home. I still have some here reserved for Richard H (the Lancashire viticella nut!), and I myself have a batch too, which I will take photos of, in due course, and post here, so you can see them.  We're all very grateful! Kind regards.

Edited by bcollingwood - 13 Jun 2007 at 7:02pm
B. R. Collingwood
josey1127 View Drop Down

Quote josey1127 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2007 at 11:58pm
hi Iris...I am one of the Canadian recipients of your seedlings...3 arrived safely today to Ontario, Canada...they look great and I will do my best to keep them happy...I will update u on their progress...thanks so much to sending them to Brian to share with us

Quote I A. Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2007 at 11:09am
Hi Brian
Just picked up the news of my vit .(flying seedlings).I couldn't help but smile.You are so thoughtful.I should have done that myself.I hope the cost of mailing them didn't set you back too much,and I hope they will grow into the giants that they came from.One of the seedlings I kept from last year is blooming ,and it is very similar to its parent.Large flowers in lavenda and white.Its parent is taking over once again as it usually does every year,growing high into a pittosporum tree.So next year when it sets seed I will let you know.
C.Etoile Violet is making itself very known outside my kitchen window growing through Rosa New Dawn,a stunning sight.C.Romantika is blooming like it never has before.dark and velvety.On the house I have a c.Fond Memories growing with c.Aeoteroa and a Pink Passion flower.(all in pots)Then next to that C.Rhapsody and c.Westerplatte,and a short version of c.Fugimasumi.Does anyone have this variety ,and is it a shorty or is it that its in a pot.?All these plants are cheering me up no end as I have shingles at the moment and not able to go out.A good excuse to sit back and take more notice of the garden.Love from Iris

Quote I A. Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2007 at 11:20am

Hi Josie

So glad you have some of my seedlings.I hope they grow well for you.The parent plant is really vigorous, so when it goes into its final home  give it something tall to grow in to.

Regards Iris Clarke.
Jackog View Drop Down

Quote Jackog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2007 at 7:03pm
Iris,
Your C. 'Fugimusume' may be just growing slowly. My plant is 3 years old but its still only 5 ft high. Beautiful true blue flowers! I consider Fugi is probably the best true blue of the LFH, I wonder if other forum member agree? or, can anyone suggest another candidate for this post?
This clematis seems unusual in that it is extremely strong and robust in its structure but very slow growing. Most strong clematis are also fast growers. Do other people observe this about Fugi?
Regards,
                  Jack

Post Reply Post Reply