FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Cl.montana Sport

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ron.Carlile View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cl.montana Sport
    Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 11:26am
Hello Wim
I was reading a past article in which you requested Ton to let you have material
for your Herbarium , I doubt if you remember , but I sent you some growth
from a Cl.montana that flowered twice a year , some time in the late 90's , the above photo
is a resulting plant from a cutting of a cutting I managed to root from  the
original sport .  The plant flowers back end of August to early September
and if pinched back in spring will give a good number of flowers .  The original plant was destroyed by a workman putting up a new shed , it was broken off
.5 Mt rs high there was a single stem , that pumped sap out like a fountain  , when I complained he said it was a plant and would grow again , which it never did .
 Regards
Ron.C
Ron.C
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 7:48pm
Dear Ron,
I can remember far away about sending a montana but not sure what I replyed. The picture does not show a montana but the plant looks great. Are you sure it is the same plant?
Best wishes,
Wim

Wim S
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 5:04pm
Dear Wim
The original plants were two plants that I grew from seed prior to me moving from my previous house , to my present address , two of the Cl.montana  both had flowerer's which were large for this type of plant , One of them had a few five sepal flowers late in the year as well as those in spring .It was supposed that there was two plants together , but when it was broken down there was only one thick stem . I managed to root two cuttings of the late flowering growth , one was not such a good plant but the
other grew well , I had a few cuttings root from the good plant ,  the one in the photo  is a cutting from the next generation of cuttings  . Each set of plants have to me seemed to have had richer colour flowers and maybe a little larger .   The original plants have gone as I explained in the first post.
I only have one Cl.montana left from the seedlings I brought with me here
and that has just a nice pink flower of the usual size for the type .
I have I would say three plants now and the odd cutting that looks as though it has rooted . they grow well in pots or the garden , I just cut them down in spring nip them out when the growth is good enough , and they brighten up the garden . I assure you they are from the same plant as the sample I sent you came from .   I have a white Cl.montana which throws five sepal flowers but to date I have not managed to root any of the shoots ,but will try next time it flowers and will keep on trying
Best Wishes
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 09 Jan 2011 at 2:43pm
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2011 at 5:23pm
Dear Wim
The silence is deafening , so I gather there is not a lot of belief
I know what I grew it from , so thats all that matters to me .
I will try to upload another weired plant that has in no way any form of it parents but it is there .????
 Its a strange old world
Best wishes from England
Ron.C
Ron.C
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 8:07am

Good morning Ron,

Of course I read your message but sometimes it is not easy to understand what to reply.
You seem to be confinced that your plant is a montana. If you join the BCS AGM bring a short piece of stem and we'll see.
With matters like this I can hardly wait for spring, still cold in Holland.
Best wishes,
Wim
Wim S
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:39am
Hi Ron
as Wim say the flower as well as the leaves are not from a Montana, but from a  lanuginosa/patens  hybrid (not a viticella)
cheers Peer
ton hannink View Drop Down

Quote ton hannink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 7:55pm
Ron,

I am agree with Wim and Peer.

Ton
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 4:29pm
Yuka and Ton
The plants are dormant at the present , I will wait until they start to grow again
and send a shoot to Wim , and let him have a look , I will  compare them with the one I have still have and compare the leaves .   They were three seedlings I brought from my last house , all flowered in spring , two of them threw the odd
five petal flower in Aug/Sep , which this was a cutting from . ???? I have no intentions of selling or passing this plant of as any thing but a good flowering Clematis . As I have only myself to fool if my facts were not correct , this mail started because I wondered what Wim had done with the sample I sent him some time ago that all . Surly you have come across C.montana that have thrown
five or more petals at some time ?

Ron.C

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 06 Feb 2011 at 5:05pm
Ron.C
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 9:36pm
Hi Ron
I'll suggest you go to this website (< http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemlistsearch.cfm>)      and search "montana" and check the pics, you will see none there looks like the one on your pic.
cheers Peer

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 8:13pm
Hi Yaku
Thanks for your observations , I appreciate your comments , I have a number of
C.montana in my garden , at least six and non of them have flowers any thing
like this one .   I have a white flowering C,montana which throws five sepal flowers most years but I have not managed to root a cutting from the flowering
shoot , but if it flowerer this year I will have another try . If I can locate a photo
I will post to show you.
Ron.C 
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:16am
Hi Peers
further to my mail 9inst here are the photo I said I would post.
Here is another one
and this is the C.montana they were growing on last April .
I just hope I can root a cutting from it this year , but just shows I have some weird plants.  Let you know if successful
Ron.C

Edited by Ron.Carlile - 12 Mar 2011 at 5:31pm
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2011 at 2:29pm
Hi Peers
I have just counted around a dozen double Cl.montana flowers on the white
clematis as last year , they are the same so I have not posted them . I cannot see any cutting material now but it may come later . May try to pollinate from two five sepel flowers and try from seed , and trust to luck . if you wish to see the flowers photo I will mail them to you .
Best Regards
Ron.C
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 8:08pm
Hello Wim and Peers
I had a look today to see if there was any growth from the clusters for cutting material that the five Sepal flowers were on .Non unfortunately .  However I did cross fertilize the Five Sepal flowers with each other , out of the five I did three have one seed on and one has a full seed head , I did not count the number of seeds on it , in another week or so I will if nothing had disturbed them collect and sow . It will be interesting to see the out come of the cross , it will be at least two years befor there are results , I just hope the time has been worth it .
Ron.C
Ron.C
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm

Dear Wim
above is a photo of the seed head on the five sepal  White C.montana which I showed photo's of before , there are not many montana leafs showing as the
plant is growing in among Brambles , there are two heads of seed but are the same . On the single sepal plants the seeds are single or at the most 3 seeds .
 I hope to be able to germinate these seeds and with luck  and produce 5
sepal montana . There are no suitable shoots to take and  root .

Now to the 5 sepal pink plants , did you say you would like to have some stems
of these plants. if so would you please advise me where you would have them sent too , and requirements of plant material you would have .

Best Regards
Ron.C

Ron.C
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 10:38am
[QUOTE=Ron.Carlile]

Ron The discussion was about this picture , which is NOT a Montana (but a lanuginosa / patens hybrid), all the other pics are clearly montanas, double or semi double montanas are not unusual
Cheers Peer

Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ron.Carlile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2011 at 12:06pm
Peer's
I assure you I have no C.lanuginosa in my garden , the only C.patens is one I grew from a seed ex Nelly Moser , and further I do not grow clematis for sale only for my own pleasure. So I am only fooling myself if no one else believes me . I am not trying to sell it as a Montana hybrid .
It is a pity there is no DNA for clematis only experience
Above is the C.patens , it is on a good flower 18/20 Cm across and flowers
in July/Aug , Like most white flowers the sepals turn brown . 
The Pink clematis does not start to flower until the end of Aug and is at its best in September / Oct .  I have never yet had any seeds form on it .
It is just out of interest that I would like to establish its origin as a montana sport , I have just seen Wim has posted a plant that  has two colours from
what looks like a double stem , so any thing is almost possible in the clematis
family. I was going to post one of the freaks I have grown but thats another tale.
Regards
Ron.C

Ron.C
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Ron.Carlile

It is a pity there is no DNA for clematis only experience
Regards
Ron.C

Ron , there are no need it can be seen by chromosomes numbers and other characters, wherever the pink summer flowering come from it's NOT a Montana sport or having any montana in it, may well be a stray seedling

Post Reply Post Reply