Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis Wilt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Brains View Drop Down

Quote Brains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis Wilt
    Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 10:49pm
Would a kind knowledgable person kindly advise me if this C.Armandii is infected with Clematis Wilt or some other debilitating problem?

Edited by Brains - 01 Mar 2011 at 10:52pm
Brian M M
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 6:59pm
Hello Brian,
This clematis does not suffer from the problem commonly refered to as 'Wilt' which is generally restricted to the large flowered varieties.

Unfortunalely your pictures are rather small and it is difficult to positively identify the issue.

Here are a few pointers which may help you identify the problem.
Check for stem damage towards the base of the plant or just above anything that is still healthy.
Often where a stem has suffered stress due to bending, puncture or abrasion it can cause internal tissue damage/bruising/infection and restrict any rising sap, eventually causing the rest of the stem to die back.
Armandiis are not particularly happy in windy positions causing physical damage and the leaves to turn brown (sucks out moisture).
The roots like good drainage so ensure they are not sitting in soggy soil over winter and conversely not too close to the roots of trees or large shrubs which suck out all the moisture.

I'm sure there are some other issues, but brain not in gear at the moment Confused. Always a good idea to check no ones been spraying systemic weedkiller nearby!

Steve

Brains View Drop Down

Quote Brains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2011 at 7:25pm
Steve,

Many thanks.  This was indeed planted close to an old apple.  I have now reduced it down to good stem and have re-potted it with a sharp sand and compost mix that gives good drainage.  The site was windy and the foliage did indeed abrade itself against the gnarled bark of the tree during the winter weather.  I hopefully now await it's re-awakening.

Brian
Brian M M
 Post Reply Post Reply