Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

UNHAPPY NEW PLANTING

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: UNHAPPY NEW PLANTING
    Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:05pm
Hi,

The disfigured leaves and stems could be an indication that disease has entered the top growth on the plant, or just as likely that the plant is suffering stress, possibly due to lack of water, even though you have watered your efforts may not have been enough to satisfy the needs of the plant. If the plant is not diseased, damaged /disfigured leaves or stems in this condition can be an entry point for disease. As you have new growth lower down I would cut out all the stems down to the new healthy growth. Give the plant two gallons of water after cutting it back and give it a 2 inch layer of mulch around the plant stems. Two days after this procedure give the plant a further two gallons of water to which you have added a liquid feed such as Chempac 3. (ballanced feed). A two gallon can of water directed at the roots each week should then keep the plant going until the drought ends.

It is important to water the base of the plant, especially if watering during the day as sun on wet leaves can cause damage to leaves, best to water in the evening at the base of the plant.

Best of luck

Roy
Gardener Geoff View Drop Down

Quote Gardener Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 10:06am
I planted a clematis " Dr Ruppel" (Group 2) about 8 weeks ago in a fairly open position ie gets some sun, to grow up a pergola.  The soil is medium loam.
The plant looked healthy and quickly formed some flower buds.

Recently it has not looked happy.  The upper leaves are drooping; they have a light brown coloration at the end near the stem and the joint between the leaf stem and the leaf looks very thin / pinched (hence the droopy leaves).
There is new growth from the base.  I have watered the plant regularly during the dry spell.
I live in East Devon.

I would appreciate any help you might be able to give to restore the plant to full health.
Geoff
 Post Reply Post Reply