Forum Home Forum Home > Clematis > Postings
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Pinching out error? - Texensis Gravetye Beauty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
afcattop View Drop Down

Quote afcattop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pinching out error? - Texensis Gravetye Beauty
    Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:52pm
Hope someone can please help me!!!!

I have a Gravetye Beauty which was planted last autumn and started coming up about two months ago.  When it had two sets of leaves I pinched out the tips to try and encourage branching to get more flowers.

However when I just checked the plant the two new shoots which have grown from the node below pinching point have grown one pair of leaves and then both formed a flower bud.

Obviously this has taken me by surprise as I did not expect flowers this early and these shoots will stop growing and not grow up their support of produce a lot of flowers as I hoped in the autumn

Have I done the wrong thing in pinching out the tips of this clematis?

Can anyone suggest what is going on and what I should do - could I remove these buds?

Hope someone can help

Matt
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:21am

Good morning Matt,

Do not worry, I guess the plant will put up new shoots from below soil level.

Cultivars from the Texensis Group like 'Gravetye Beauty' and 'Princess Diana' can make shoots in spring that flower directly without a growing tip. You get a shoot of let say 1 meter (3ft) with a terminal flower and side flowers. Because you pinched the shoot you lost that terminal flower and most side flowers leaving only the bottom pair. You can leave the buds and let them flower.

To help the plant making new shoots, give the plant a full bucket of water with some (indoor / house plant) liqued fertilizer.

Best wishes,

Wim
Wim S
afcattop View Drop Down

Quote afcattop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:04pm
Many thanks for reply Wim

This being the case, would you think that pinching out may not be a good idea in future for this clematis as I guess its not possible to tell a flowing shoot from a normal growing shoot

Matt
Wim Snoeijer View Drop Down

Quote Wim Snoeijer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:32pm
Matt,

When the plant is older you will get more and more shoots from below soil level when planted deep enough. It is not necessary for the non growing shoots with flowers in May to cut them out.

The Texensis Group cultivars can do strange things with regard to flowering.

The non growing shoots with the terminal flower in May will mainly appear on a non pruned plant or when the plant is pruned 20 or 50 cm above soil level.

If you prune at soil level you most probably will not get the shoots that flower with a terminal flower in May, it is more likely to get stems that continue to grow and start flowering from June onwards into October and at that time the stem might have grown 4 to 6 meter long (and might even put a terminal flower on top of that 6 meter stem!!!).

So, I can advice to leave the plant as it is and have a closer look this growing season what exactly happens on the stem when flowers appear.

Best regards,

Wim

Wim S
afcattop View Drop Down

Quote afcattop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:48pm
Thanks again

The flowering shoot was from below ground but guess as a new plant this could be the reason - will watch closely so to get to know this plant

Very different from my viticella's

Thanks

Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply