Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Clematis Nelly Moser

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
trogre View Drop Down

Quote trogre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis Nelly Moser
    Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:03pm

Roy, Thank you for your advice on the pruning and also the advice on not planting clematis straight from a 9 cm pot. The advice on the pot size has prompted another question which may be straight forward in answering but would appreciate member’s comments please.

I have posted it under the topic of “Pot sizes”

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:53am
If your Nelly Moser is planted out flowering and looking in good condition, I would leave the plant until its first flowering is over, then prune it to about a foot high give a feed of Blood Fish and Bone meal a handfull spread around the plant is about right and give it a mulch of garden compost. Remember to keep the plant well watered during its growing season.

I find Tritonata etc. very slow to establish and would recommend that this plant be grown on in a succession of long tom pots up to 4 litre size at least before planting in the garden, in fact I would state that no clematis is suitable for planting directy from a 9cm pot. If you are a beginner have a careful look at group three plants as they are generally easier to grow that the large flowered group two plants. Nelly Moser tends to be an exception as it a tough and vigorous, whereas some of the group twos are not.

Best of Gardening

Roy Nunn
trogre View Drop Down

Quote trogre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2011 at 3:07pm

Good day to you all.

I purchased my first 2 Clematis near the end of March and must admit was more of an impulse buy as I remembered the Clematis my mother used to grow. I purchased the Nelly Moser & Triternata Rubromarginata more on recommendation from garden centre staff rather than particular choice.

I explained I would not be planting the Nelly Moser till beginning of April. I was advised since this was a bit late as regards the “first” pruning of all newly planted Clematis in February I should leave it till next year and then treat the pruning as a newly planted Clematis rather than 2nd year which from what I have read should be down to 1 metre.

Must admit not sure what way to go with the pruning come Feb 2012, cut down to 30cm or 1 metre?The plant is growing well almost up to 4 feet  (1.2M) and I have my first flower.

The Rubromarginata have a disastrous start as the only plant left was in a small 9cm pot so Clematis was very small. It started growing ok and then one morning I went out and literally every leaf had been eaten! I did not know if to dig it up and put in greenhouse over winter or let it be. Glad I done that because it eventually started to grow leaves back again. I think it is a bit behind in growth but now doing fine; it is more protected against slugs & snails than I think the Queen has protection.

For my next Clematis I would like to buy the Clematis Crystal Mountain and then next year......

Thank you in advance for any advice
 Post Reply Post Reply