Clematis virus?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clematis virus?
    Posted: 26 May 2011 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Nunn00123

Hi,
 I would avoid Iron Sulphate as a leaf drench as this can cause blackening of leaves.
      I did miss that, the only thing iron sulphate mixed with water is good for is as a wood preservative.
The Magnesium sulphate(10% Mg + 12.5% sulphate) has a positive effect on the pH and this will help the plant to take up iron and other micro nutrient.
As Roy say you really need to see it for a diagnose, still the X-mas tree effect is associated with iron / manganese deficiency.

Nunn00123 View Drop Down

Quote Nunn00123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:58am
Hi,

Yellowing of leaves between veins!

There are in fact a number of factors that can cause this, other than mineral deficiencies, but the most common is the plants failure to take up nutrients.

Our soil is very alkaline which I keep within bounds by mulching twice a year with garden compost. Occasionally I have noticed chloritic leaves on clematis, especially heracleifolia, sibirica and koreana. This I usually treat firstly with a 5 litre can of magnesium sulphate (Epsom Salts) solution in water at the rate of 20grams per litre, plus one drop of washing up liquid. Drench the whole plant and the surrounding soil, in the evening when rain is not expected. One week later give a liquid feed, I use an acidic plant food such as Miracid or Phostragen Azalea food because my soil is alkaline, otherwise use a balanced liquid feed such as Chempak 3.

I would avoid Iron Sulphate as a leaf drench as this can cause blackening of leaves.

Bear in mind that virus, weed killer contamination, overwatering or drought and even infestation of Red Spider Mite can cause similar effects.

Yours

Roy W Nunn
yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:49am
Originally posted by pixielady

Thanks for your thoughts schristmas-I have had confirmation that in fact my clematis have a magnesium deficiency - I am so pleased it is not a virus cos I wouldn't have wanted to destroy the plants.  I have bought some organic feed which will help the situation.  Thanks again.
I wonder how qualified??
You say : veins are green but the rest of the leaf is yellow -, magnesium deficiency causes yellowing of leaf, the green veins are typical Iron or Manganese (Fe or Mn [not Mg]) to much of either of those can cause deficiency of the other, so don't overuse it, Manganese deficiency are more rare than Iron deficiency, so the first advice sounds sound, those deficiencies are mainly caused from to high pH and Iron  sulphate will help correcting that.
Peer

yaku View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote yaku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:38am

pixielady View Drop Down

Quote pixielady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:02pm
Thanks for your thoughts schristmas-I have had confirmation that in fact my clematis have a magnesium deficiency - I am so pleased it is not a virus cos I wouldn't have wanted to destroy the plants.  I have bought some organic feed which will help the situation.  Thanks again.
schristmas View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:26am
Not a virus but a mineral deficiency which sounds a bit like iron chlorosis.

I believe this can be caused by a number of issues, some of which are overwatering, compacted soil or just too high a soil PH.

Try applying some iron sulphate to the soil and as a foliar feed.

pixielady View Drop Down

Quote pixielady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:22pm
Cry Two of our clematis have what looks like a virus where the veins are green but the rest of the leaf is yellow - one plant is not very vigorous though the other is fine - last season the one that isn't vigorous had this colouration but I thought it was something that would go away by itself so didn't do anything about it.  Now the plant growing next to it has this too I am more concerned.  A fellow gardener showed me today that one of her plants also has this though again her plant's vigour hasn't been affected.  Does anyone have any ideas what this is & what should I do?! 
 Post Reply Post Reply